• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jaybird will Kill Me... But...

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Yes I bought a TR7 convertible.

Complete car, as in most of the parts are there, and needs to be put back together. $150. I couldn't pass that deal up.

and the amazing part is that there doesnt SEEM to be any rust. the car sat in a garage for a long time. Now, I need to know what I should be looking for on this car in the good and bad departments.

Thanks!

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Let me be the first to welcome you to 'The Dark Side', as Jaybird likes to call it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I personally do not know TR7s, but I know you'll find plenty of help here

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
i heard the brakes reeeaallly suck. plan upgrades.
rob

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The biggest thing for a car that has been sitting is the electrics. Obviously, that applies to all cars, but the TR7 had printed circuit boards, which can be a pain. Get good grounds and make sure all connections in the engine bay are clean.

Switches also have a tendency to corrode, so cleaning contacts can be beneficial.

It is true that the brakes aren't great, but they're not that bad. Basically, they are not assisted, so they require a heck of a lot of pedal pressure.

Engine-wise, the two-litre four is prone to headgasket failure, so make sure head bolts are torqued to spec. Also, the stromberg carb mounts (the rubber part) tend to crack and separate. If putting a little pressure on the carbs allows air to get through a crack, buy a set of aluminum carb spacers. They're $100 and will never fail, but the new rubber ones can fail within weeks.

The only other place that I know of problems is that carb-spec TR7s don't have exhaust manifold gaskets, so you can get a little exhaust leak. If you're getting popping, it's possible that the problem is not an exhaust leak, but either a bad stop-valve in the air injection pump (take it off!!! It's 10 pounds of hp stealing junk!) or the carburetor acceleration bypass valves floating.

Don't let anyone poo-poo the 7 -- it's a very fun car to toss around.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Printed circuit boards? Please tell me these weren't made by Lucas! *gasp* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, $150 leaves lots of money for the upgrade.

You're gonna love havin' THIS wedgie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mickey

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
300 !

G

The beauty of the TR7 is that it's design was before it's time. They have finally come of age and look totally modern against any of today's personal cars. And what you really have is not so much a personal car but a "real" sports car that loves to be tossed around. They really do handle well and are often underappreciated. That said, I would never own one.

Bill

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you hear that?

Don't listen to him Zack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Congratulations Zack. You will love it. Hows about some more information.. Year? coloUr,

Pictures??

I have spare parts lying around. If ya need anything let me know.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Paul

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Its a red convertible with what used to be a black top/interior.

It has a black stripe job along the bottom of it, and it does have this really cool hood with vents notched in it.

I will get pictures when I can walk again

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ya know I just had to read a post that started "Jaybird will kill me, but..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Let all of Triumph owners be sure to send her a Christmas card with a picture of our cars on it!

- Doug

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the brotherhood of the wedgehead. They really are fun to drive, and pretty simple to maintain.

G

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject of acquiring TR7's, I'm currently looking at this car on Ebay. I've been semi-seriously looking for a TR7 coupe for awhile now and this looks promising. Looks fairly rust free, interior looks great, only things that are bugging me are the fact that it's in Cali (and I'd have to pay a good deal to have it shipped) and the fact that the current owner has never heard the car run, which scares me. I emailed him and he says he got the car in exactly the condition it's in and has never attempted to start it. He said he would probably be able to run a compression check for me if I wanted, but I haven't pursued that yet. Time is running on this, impressions?

TR7

G

Also looking at this one.

Another TR7

This one doesn't look to be in quite as good condition as the first, little surface rust around the nose area. However it has several things going for it the other doesn't. One, it runs according to the owner. Two, it's about a 2.5 hour drive from me, so I could most likely get it home on my friends trailer without having to pay shipping. Three, it's an automatic, which although that doesn't appeal to me it means my wife would more readily support the purchase since she'd be able to drive it. I was acutally thinking of getting something she could enjoy also, so this would fit the bill better. Anyone have experience with Triumphs auto gearboxes, reliability, problems, etc.?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Both probably 4 speeds Scott. You would want one with a 5 speed, like my 1978 Coupe. Mine is in much better condition then those two, and rare as well with only 1200 being made in '78 because the factory was on strike for half the year. Thinking of selling mine too, but not for those bids.

Paul

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think the jerry can and the propane tanks will come in handy Zack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Where on earth did you find that?