Thread: Catherham 7

Discussions of Lotus Sports Cars

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

Catherham 7

Just wondering how close the Catherham 7 is to the Lotus 7? I know its basically designed after it, but in pure techncial merit, what are the pros and cons?
    [img]graemlins/cowboy.gif[/img]

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Catherham 7

Suposedly Caterham was a big Lotus 7 dealer, and when Lotus phased it out, Caterham bought the rights to continue building it, first a few Mark IV's, then back to Mark III's. They have gotten a bit heavy as the years have passed, mainly because there are no tiny components out there to use any more. The rear end and transmission are Ford Sierra. They are more plush now too, with seats and everything. The bodies are simpler in detail now, particularly around the openings where the tie rods and headers penetrate the aluminum.

To me, they cost way too much. A real Lotus is much less expensive, even a very nice one. A Birkin is also much less expensive. I believe that Birkins are also authorized copies.

I like them, but I'm keeping my MK II.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Super 7 ]</p>

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Super 7:
    Suposedly Caterham was a big Lotus 7 dealer, and when Lotus phased it out, Caterham bought the rights to continue building it, first a few Mark IV's, then back to Mark III's. They have gotten a bit heavuie as the years have passed, mainly because there are no tiny components out there to use any more. The rear end and transmission are Ford Sierra. They are more plush now too, with seats and everything. The bodies are simpler in detail now, particularly around the openings where the tie rods and headers penetrate the aluminum.

To me, they cost way too much. A real Lotus is much less expensive, even a very nice one. A Birkin is also much less expensive. I believe that Birkins are also authorized copies.

I like them, but I'm keeping my MK II.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks! I would love to take a cross-country trip in a 7! They remoind me of a little Indy car! You should put a picture of your 7 in your signature (in you Profile)

Basil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the Caterhams have staggering performance despite the lack of Lotus originality.
    They make different models for different tastes. If you want a lighter bare bones race type then just tick the box!

And thanks Basil for asking a question to bump start this forum.. even though you probably could tell us about Caterhams.. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TypeRboy:

And thanks Basil for asking a question to bump start this forum.. even though you probably could tell us about Caterhams.. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>
    You're welcome, but actually it was an honest question. I have seen Caterhams advertized for sale, and knew they were fasioned after the Lotus 7, but that's really all I knew! I would love to take one for a test spin one of these days - on a twisty-turny mountain road!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really are interested in the Lotus 7, but think it's too expensive, there are lots of "clones", including a company in Florida that uses Chevy V6 parts as a basis.

The best-known clone is the "Locost 7"...here's the book on Locost construction:

https://www.locostmerchandise.7p.com.../Rons_Book.jpg

More on Locost cars:

https://www.locost-racing.com/

still more:

https://www.adelgigs.com/links.htm#other

My list of interesting "kit-type" cars:

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/sportscars.htm

and these people Champion Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a low cost alternative as well..

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&category=6312

It's a Chevron, made in NZ.This one is for sale in Washington State.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everything about Caterham's can be found here. They occasionally say something about Lotus Sevens.

Lee

web page

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: sevenhead ]</p>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The nicest thing about Caterham is that they make a stretched version called the SV. This way, we big guys can fit in them too. My favorite is the copy of the S7S3 -- bicycle fenders rather than the wing fenders...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saw a Caterham parked in Laguna Beach, CA yesterday. Typical green/alum color scheme. Left hand drive, racing belts, extinguisher. Not much room in the cockpit but it looked like it could turns some fast laps. I wish I had the camera ... never seem to have the camera when I need it!

Cheers, John