• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member from Rocklin CA

tr4boy

Freshman Member
Hi, Folks,

Greg here, with a 1964 TR-4 surrey top that I've had for 27 years. It's my 3rd triumph, with the previous ones being a 1963 TR-4 and a 1974 TR-6.

Here are a few pictures...

Attachments

• 1964 TR-4 1.jpg
    1964 TR-4 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1964 TR-4 #2.jpg
    1964 TR-4 #2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1964 tr-4 #3.jpg
    1964 tr-4 #3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 46

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! We used to visit friends in Rocklin all the time.
Used to stay at the Heritage Inn next to the freeway,until it got so
run down we refused to stay there again.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello TR4boy

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking TR4.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you should get plenty of tips and advice for your TR4

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have seen that car many times, I don't know how he keeps the black looking so good. Have you retired yet Greg?

Jerry

OP
T

tr4boy

Freshman Member
Hi, pdplot,

It's removable, much like a 914 porsche. It's actually the first "targa" top ever produced by a manufacturer. The rear window frame, also known as a backlight, is fixed, as is the windshield. The hardtop is held on by 4 bolts. There is no accommodation for the hardtop on the car so if you take it off you have to leave it behind. But you can still bring along the surrey top which is a collapsible frame and rectangular soft top the fits in place of the hard top.

OP
T

tr4boy

Freshman Member
Thx, Basil!

The hardtop is so amazing. It totally stiffens up the car. Zero scuttle shake over my 63 TR-4 convertible. Plus, who doesn't love Italian design?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Greg I have wanted the Backlight for many years on my 1973 TR 6. At the Portland meet last year there were two TR 6 with them. I contacted the Co. and in June 2020 bought one complete surrey and hard top. C19 in the UK and a few other problems delayed shipping. TNT/FedEx damaged them and the UK is dealing with replacement. The frame and hard top are not useable at all. FedEx USA say it will be covered but has to be done in the UK. I live in Reno area and I see your car was at Dixon CA some time back. I have a question or two; is yours OEM or after market, and if so did you do the work?

Madflyer / triumph73kill@att.net

OP
T

tr4boy

Freshman Member
Hi, Madflyer,

Thanks for the welcome and sorry to hear your story. To lose one to incompetence is especially painful. I could never find one when I had my 74 TR-6.

I've been a member of United British Sports Car Club (UBSCC) in Sacramento, CA, for a very long time, maybe around 30 years or so. The Club puts on the Dixon show and the car is there (almost) every year. Who knows what 2021 will bring us, but if it's on, hope to see you there!

The hard top is OEM right down to the attachment hardware. I didn't do the paintwork on the backlight or hardtop, it was done when I bought the car. I did change out the headliner a few years ago, though. The car was originally restored in 1980 by the guy I bought it from. He had 5 TR-4's and he stripped the best parts off of each to build mine. He told me he had to go to the UK to find the complete hard top and that, in 1980 dollars, spent about 2k to buy it and bring it back. Not sure if that's true, but it makes a good story.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Greg I am in the Reno British Car Club since 1992 We used to do runs with your club to the coast and are club put on a meet in March each year. UBSCC would come over many years but weather was always a question.
The price has not gone up to much I payed about $ 3,500.00 for every thing and the two tops with TAX and shipping. I had flipped a 1967 MG B so the money was there. As for my TR6 it was done in 1992-1993 I started with a frame from one of the three cars as the driver I got had a bad frame. I once did well at Dixon in past years but I just go for the event.. The Portland Meet in September is a good show Also the Idaho club puts on a meet that we went to in Moscow ID two summers ago. This year I went through the TR bumper to bumper. Rad, timing chain & cover seal, & pully, new starter, fuel line, new gear on flywheel, trans seals, new windscreen and seals, new carpets, removed role bar. seals on diff. it was 27 years old again and C19 what else a guy to do.

Well this is a great site and lots of TR guys.

Madflyer