• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smartphone GPS on car's infotainment screen?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I wondered if anyone has figured out how to put a smartphone GPS display *on the infotainment screen in the car*.

If a car has a big (8") infotainment screen, with connections for USB, etc., can a smartphone's smaller display (when using the smartphone's GPS/navigation app) show on the big infotainment screen? Seems that would be easier to read than staring at the small smartphone screen while driving.

Also notice that many people prefer their smartphone navigation system over a car's navigation system.
Thanks.
Tom M.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
If the infotainment system wasn't designed to mirror a smartphone screen or display external video (HDMI/DVI) inputs it's not going to.

I haven't heard of it being done but that doesn't mean it hasn't. Look through the manual for the infotainment system. Chances are it's only meant to interface with common audio playback and voice telephone functions. But you never know.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was able to retro fit Apple CarPlay into my daughters 2016 1/2 Mazda. CarPlay displays her Google maps app (in addition to other apps on her iPhone) right on the infotainment screen.
Most newer cars come equipped with CarPlay.
If you have an iPhone you could check with dealer to see if it’s available as a retro kit.
This is what I bought:
https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-3-smartphone-mirroring-kit.html

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Elliot. That is a great idea. Car supports Apple CarPlay, but I didn't realize CarPlay includes phone video mirroring.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- If your car supports CarPlay then it’s just a matter of plugging your phone into the USB port.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom- If your car supports CarPlay then it’s just a matter of plugging your phone into the USB port.

Already did that. Audio came through fine, but no video (screen mirror). Maybe there's an additional setup I need to figure out.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On your iPhone go to [FONT=&quot]Settings > General > CarPlay >
to pair your phone to CarPlay.
[/FONT]

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Will give that a try. Need to get to work, but should be home early this afternoon.

The pigs and pumpkins need tending!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will give that a try. Need to get to work, but should be home early this afternoon.

The pigs and pumpkins need tending!
Did ya dig into it?
B30BF269-B81C-46C6-9B25-A23A5B974D60.jpeg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hey - who stole our punkin?

Tamworth.JPG

Elliot - turns out my phone is LG (using android). But before I dive deeper into this, have you done anything similar? Used a phone's map/navigation on a car's infotainment screen?

Thanks.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes, all the time. My car came with CarPlay installed. I plug in my iPhone and my google maps app appears on the cars infotainment screen. I tell Siri where I want to go and the map/route is displayed.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes, it mimics your phone. By the way my 2019 Mazda 3 does not have a touch screen. All selections are done via a joystick like knob on the center console. I like it much better than always reaching to touch the screen.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With the Mazda joystick, how do you enter a new destination address? I can't picture how to do that without a touch screen.

TM

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
With CarPlay if you enter it on your phone it goes to the screen.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With CarPlay if you enter it on your phone it goes to the screen.

Thanks. So you have to use the phone to enter the address? You can't use the car's touchscreen to do that?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
With the Mazda joystick, how do you enter a new destination address? I can't picture how to do that without a touch screen.

TM
Tom- I use the microphone on the google maps app. I simply tell it where I want to go.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom- I use the microphone on the google maps app. I simply tell it where I want to go.

Thanks Elliot. This is showing me I'm going to need some "hand holding" as I work through the process.

My Altima owner's manual shows I have CarPlay and Android Auto. I choose Connections on the touchscreen and get three choices: USB 1, USB 2, Audio.

I choose USB 1, plug the phone into the USB port under the touchscreen, and see "No usb device found". So maybe the phone's o/s needs updating, or I need to choose a specific app on the phone?

To short-cut through the labyrinth ... does CarPlay only appear on "recent" iphones? Is there a minimum hardware/os requirement for CarPlay to be a choice on the phone?

It's interesting how many questions there are on various iphone and Nissan forums about all this. As more cars drop the built-in navigation systems in favor of smartphone connections, many folks don't know how to hook the phones up, or even if their CarPlay and AndroidAuto are configured as needed. I'm one of those folks!

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you try pairing your phone to your car?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Did you try pairing your phone to your car?

Hand holding! What does "pairing phone to car" mean, and how is it done?

I have an LG Android phone, so once the car recognizes the phone is plugged into the usb port, I assume the car uses the Android Auto function. I assume ....