• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has You Tube been hacked?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have just started to get Russian language adverts on You Tube.
As I use Opera as my browser I typically do not get adverts at the start of a video or I can skip them but now they come up on almost every video I click on.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - clear all the browser cookies and other security data. See if the YT videos return to normal.

Or ... download and install a completely different browser. It won't have any cookies or personal data stored. Then try YT and see if it's back to normal for you.

Tom M.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Another possibility - if you've been using a VPN with an IP address based in eastern Europe, your browser may think you're actually near Russia.

Tom M.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you Tom

That could be it as I just enabled VPN in Opera. Have ust changed it back to No VPN.

David

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Another possibility - if you've been using a VPN with an IP address based in eastern Europe, your browser may think you're actually near Russia.

Tom M.

That is very likely, my internet gets all sorts of strange routing and some days I apparently am in Poland (at least according to YoutubePL) sometimes I am England... Occasionally I am in Haifa ( getting closer) and on other days apparently I moved to Tel Aviv, all on the same wired home internet.
I suspect that my provider probably has a number of different connections to the world and either distributes based on cost or loading.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Up till this started I never got a popup add before the you video that you have to skip after 4 seconds. Always got that on my tablet.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This evening as click on the you tube icon on the browser page and bring up the you tube tiles an audio advert starts playing. Do not see any open pages and can not shut it off. It goes for about 15 or 20 seconds then shuts off. All political adverts.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - a couple questions.

When you turned off VPN, did the Russian language ads stop appearing on YouTube?

You wrote "as click on the you tube icon on the browser page and bring up the you tube tiles" - do you mean when you go to YouTube? I can't interpret "click on the youtube icon on the browser page", or "bring up the you tube tiles".

That's not clear to me, so I'm trying to figure out if the audio advert starts only when you're on a YouTube page, or if the audio advert starts when you click the YouTube icon on your browser's bookmarks bar (in other words, before you've actually gone to the YouTube page).

Note - YouTube has changed a *lot* of default settings over the last six months. Big ones I notice are (1) all comments are now shoved to the bottom of the page, and (2) even more ads before and during videos, with and without the "Skip Ad" choice. Also, much more frequent use of the "Sign up for YouTube TV" popup.

Tom M.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Tom

I may have not chosen the best description for the pages.

VPN off now and no Russian language adverts now. Just US adverts that play for a few seconds before they allow you to click "Skip advert"

You tube s.jpg
No audio advert playing on this page.

When I click on the You Tube link in the above page I was getting the audio played as soon as this loaded.
You tube 1s.jpg
This morning it has not happened yet.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - thanks. The first image is probably the "home page" of your browser, so it's not connected to YT yet.

The second image is the "home page" of YouTube, with your personal settings. I think you're logged in to YT, because I see a blue circle with a D in it in the "logged in" area on the upper right.

Note that if you're logged in to YT, it *might* automatically start up a video ("autoplay") which was active on the homepage, even if you don't know it was active.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...lay-in-youtubes-home-and-subscriptions-feeds/

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

PS - I agree about the TV garbage. Other than morning and evening local news and weather, and some PBS programs, I never watch TV. But I'm not going to pay $67/month for YouTube TV. Geez - remember when people actually made *things*, instead of mostly promoting someone else's services? yeesh