• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I had an accident.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A few weeks ago I was helping my son hang new drip rails on my roof and I fell off a ladder. It was a freak accident as I only fell about four or five feet. I shattered my heel and ankle had two surgeries and now I get to sit on my ass for twelve weeks while I recover. Running is something I won't be doing anymore (I can live with that), hiking is iffy (this one I'm going to do my ****edest to make happen), the Doc says I'll be lucky if I wind up not needing to use a cane for life. This is what my foot now looks like.
foot 1.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OUCH! - That sucks.

You DO realize that you won't be on the safety committee anymore?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.

Did they include some bits of timing chain in the trpair.

Make a point of proving them wrong about the cane.

David

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Are those going to stay in permanently? What's the impact on your teaching job?

Hope you recover enough to hike again w/o the cane. And stay off ladders from now on.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Oh man, sorry Walter. Hope you recover to the point you can hike again - without a cane.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Man, sorry to hear that Walt. Glad it wasn't even worse though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Darn, Walt. Sorry for the bad luck landing. Do whatever the medico's recommend and heal. Then, as said by others, prove the doctor wrong. At our age the healing process takes a bit longer but it still happens. Being patient sucks, though.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
+1 to doc's comments - sorry to here and keep at it!

(BTW did you ask for whitworth? :smile: )

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ladders! Hate 'em! Necessary evils and you experienced one of my worst nightmares. As others have said already, hope you recover better and faster than predicted.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My Mother had Polio (probably) when she was young and her left leg was weak. In the 1950s they tried to help by connecting different muscles to support her ankle. The operations were experiments at best and failed to help. They ended up fixing her ankle by screwing it in place.

Some years later she noticed a swelling on her ankle. The swelling developed into an open wound so she went to the ER. After an x ray she was sitting in the waiting room when a nurse came out and said "Where is the lady with the Lose screw"
The Dr. just unscrewed the 3 SS screws and put a band aid on it telling her to keep it clean.
It did not slow her down.
David
Last man off on 25 mile time trial Southend Road. Unknown and Vera Davis.jpg
That is my Mother helping with a cycling time trial in the 1940s. She also competed in the trials.

Country flag
Just be prepared for the strip search when it beeps if you ever fly...

Seriously, back when I was in high school my mom fell off a small step stoll while hanging wallpaper and broke a foot. Was only about a foot or so from the ground so shows the freak accidents can still bite you.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OUCH is right!

Years ago, I hopped out of our RV and my right foot landed on an electrical box, breaking a bone. I still have the screws to prove it, but have recovered completely. Just take it easy and you will too.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have never heard of a fall hurting any body but the landing can be ****. I went from a wheelchair to a walker to 90% in less than two years at least with the C 19 flue what else do you have to do. There are no pills for what you have so stay away from them. Time will heal your heel . Madflyer

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Right now I'm enjoying the rest of my summer flat on my back. This is the most useless I've ever felt and it sucks. I hope to prove the doctors wrong and be walking cane free by the end of this school year.

Bob, yup they are there for the duration. I'll be teaching from a wheel chair until the middle of October.

David, that's a great story about your mom. The Doc said that I'll probably have debilitating arthritis someday and that a good solution would be to have my ankle fused. It would eliminate most side to side motion but shouldn't hurt my ability to walk.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Did not stop her fishing. She would cycle to the bridge in the village where we lived and drop a line in the river with the local youth. They looked on her as the Crazy English lady. One day she caught a 8.5 pound salmon. Had to rush home to get some cash so she could buy a salmon licence.
My sister in the photo.
David
salmon 8.5lb Gillian 2.jpg
Caught on a hand line with a garden worm as bait.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Some years ago, I fell off a stepladder in the kitchen installing a light bulb. It wasn't going to keep me from my golf game that afternoon. I went to the course on crutches, hobbled over to the first tee and...shot an 81 - the best round I ever shot on that course, before or since. Go figure. I hope you heal up fast.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David, that is an impressive fish. At least I know that no matter what I'll still be able to float around in my canoe and drink beer, errr I mean fish.

Country flag
Some years ago, I fell off a stepladder in the kitchen installing a light bulb. It wasn't going to keep me from my golf game that afternoon. I went to the course on crutches, hobbled over to the first tee and...shot an 81 - the best round I ever shot on that course, before or since. Go figure. I hope you heal up fast.

Maybe because it wasn't usual so you had to pay more attention, if you knew it or not, to what you were doing.

When I used to play with my dad I'd hit right handed since I was, but putt left handed. I needed then to pay more attention to it since it wasn't my natural dominant direction.