• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Me and my cars.....

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here I am posting in a forum. And, to think I'm on Social Security before I figured out how.....

Now that I'm retired I have time to fix, or maybe I should say continue to work on, my cars.

My first Spitfire was bought in 1975. I've never been without a British car ever since.

Last winter I overhauled my Spitfire and sold it on fleaBay. It now lives in the Netherlands.

Right now I am overhauling one of my TR6's. Essentially 1 1/2 Spitfire engines!

Should be out driving it soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_091754copyt.jpg
    IMG_20200327_091754copyt.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 34

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello John

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice for your TR6 as you work through it.

Retirement is a great time to work on our LBCs.

David

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
20180917_074659.jpg20180915_121622.jpg
Here are a couple of Photo's of the Spitfire I once had. As you can see it had a very bad day once......
After fixing it up I sold it.
Right now, I'm doing the same thing to a TR6. So I can sell it.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Did your fleabay sell cost you 10% as a fee? I have two cars to sell and have to decide where to post them.
Jerry

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
You know, I'm uncertain. Looking at their fee help I'm just confused.
As I recall they take a percentage up to a certain point and then stop.
I suspect less than a hundred bucks.

That said, in my opinion, fleaBay is the best option.
Most of these cars are getting exported back home.
And they are unique. If you want one you might go for quite some drive.

Facebook Marketplace can't reach overseas nor people more than a couple states away. But it sells quite some amount of stuff. And, it's free.

Craigslist is a valid option, as you can search across the country, and I think it's still free.
Craiglist is actually where I found my Willys pickup a 20 hour drive away..

But easiest, and widest exposure is eBay.

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
IMG_20200411_085909 2mg.jpg
Made some more progress but find this coronavirus has slowed shipping from the Roadster Factory. The tracking system says I get my new throw out bearing on Tuesday.
So, I may go to the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge and go perch fishing. By myself.

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
941448_3095273996581_179205803_n.jpg2 471.jpg299377_1498391715522_4211716_n.jpg936285_3095236755650_660361166_n.jpg

This is what I bought three years ago.
First I did the bodywork and now I'm rebuilding the engine.
The "T shirts" and rear sill failed and have been replaced already.

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
MVIMG_20200416_191717 sh 1.jpg
There it is.
I finally got my throw out bearing from the Roadster Factory, Koyo of course, and two 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch dowels.
The original dowel pins went A.W.O.L. somewhere along the way so I had to buy new ones. I believe they are important to align the bell housing with the crankshaft.
Now to go out in the snow and start connecting the rest of the goodies.

OP
J

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
MVIMG_20200421_091432 1.jpgMVIMG_20200420_090735 1.jpg
So, it's ready to go except for radiator hoses.
I tried to get by on the cheap by re using my radiator hoses. Nope.
All the coolant leaked out over night.
Back to my buddies at the Roadster Factory.......