Thread: Time flies!!!!

Hey New Members! This New Member Introduction Forum is where you can post an introduction message to introduce yourself to the group here!

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time flies!!!!

7 years into this restoration project and things are starting to look like progress is being made. Lack of on-hand free time (and money) make things just a bit slower, when heading to the 'End is in sight" week. Purchased from a seller in Arizona, with intentions of some quick mechanical repairs to get the car roadworthy, and start enjoying the drive. The more I dug into this and that, the more I thought it would be better to do a bit more and a bit more and a bit more. Never thinking it would get to the point of restoration it is at the moment.
    During the initial passenger side front suspension dis-assambly and de-greasing, tI found the chassis had been whacked pretty hard. The shock/spring tower was cracked and lower A arm mounting points had been torn away and welded back in place. Not a good start at this point of the quick mechanical repairs. Further checks on the rest of the chassis revealed a few large dents and bends along the way back from the front suspension area. The driver side leaf spring (forward pivot point) had snapped and did a nice accordion style cut into the floor pan/seat area that was about 2 1/2 inches wide by 3-4 inches top to bottom. I was now ready to start doing some searching for a good chassis that I could use. I found quite a few chassis that were in decent/good shape that needed repairs, sand blasting and a good lasting paint job. After adding up the costs of trying to stick with original as when the car left the factory, I started to see that that amount of $$ was more than an aftermarket Ratio chassis.
    The new chassis is considerably stiffer, and I'm sure a bit heavier, but was Powder coated and ready for all suspension and running mechanicals to be installed. At that point I was ready to start considering body colors, as I was now changing the chassis to a non original, the whole "as left the factory" idea had been scrapped. I decided to go with a different color on exterior paint and interior, so Heritage certificate has a factory white exterior paint applied. It is now Apple Green, and will have a biscuit color interior.
    The motor has been warmed up a bit with a fast road cam, 89 MM piston/liner set, Weber 40's and headers for a bit more fun, so more originality is gone. I will still enjoy driving the car when its finally finished.
    . IMG_2316.jpgIMG_2318.jpgIMG_2320.jpgIMG_2725.jpgIMG_2726.jpg
    Anyway, its a nice distraction. I will put some more pics up at a later date, showing the current state of "getting there"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Re: Time flies!!!!

looks like quite a project, welcome!
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I'm in Stamford. The first Sunday of each month, weather permitting, car nuts gather at the Hayfield's not far from you on Rte 121 in North Salem. All kinds of interesting stuff including at least 4-5 Triumphs.

Darth Vader
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Hello PeasoupTR3

Welcome to the forum.

Your TR3 is looking good. What frame did you go for Ratco?

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to check it out, next good weather Sunday-
    Thanks

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The CH03 frame - a bit heavier gauge box frame, and weightwise. Nice powder coated finish from manufacturer, with 2 part expanding foam filling the inside area of the box sections- keeps water out and quieter(so I'm told by the company). So far everything seems to be fitting up pretty well. At the moment I'm trying to get the exhaust system routed properly. The header system I purchased through Moss Motors, needed a bit of adjusting with some heat for clearance between Y connector and chassis, down pipe and engine block, #1 exhaust down tube and #1 intake runner - I decided to go with a pair of 40 DCOE Webers, and the intake manifold was contacting the header tube. I'll see how it goes fitting the exhaust - catch you later

Darth Vader
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Probable saved you a great deal of trouble going that route. I gather good original frames are very hard to find.

David
    TR3A TS75524L