Thread: Hurricane Florence

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hurricane Florence

Waters off North Carolina right now https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=41159

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Re: Hurricane Florence

And the Oscar for best over-dramatization of the effects of Cat 1 winds, goes to:

https://mashable.com/article/weather.../#gQ9j.Hu5hPqE
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

I'd imagine being a TV reporter sent out to "report on a disaster" when no disaster has yet happened, must be frustrating and lead to some heavy histrionics.

Reminds me of a blizzard a few years ago, where the poor reporter was on camera with a subtitle "Major snowfall hits Northeast" - but there were no piles of snow anywhere near the reporter. Probably would have lost her job if she'd just said "nothing's happening here yet."
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    I'd imagine being a TV reporter sent out to "report on a disaster" when no disaster has yet happened, must be frustrating and lead to some heavy histrionics.

Reminds me of a blizzard a few years ago, where the poor reporter was on camera with a subtitle "Major snowfall hits Northeast" - but there were no piles of snow anywhere near the reporter. Probably would have lost her job if she'd just said "nothing's happening here yet."
    Back in the 90's during the first Gulf War, there were some reporters at a purportedly reputable network who were exposed as faking that they were in an area that was under missile attack. Actually they were safe and sound in a studio and not under any kind of attack, but they put on helmets, etc., as if they were in imminent danger.

Then a major female news personality once gave a report from "in front of the Capital" all bundled up because it was sooooo cold outside. Turns out she was discovered to have been standing in front of a green screen and nowhere near the Capital building.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What are you suggesting...FAKE NEWS???
    John Kuzman
    West Chester, OH & Bonita Springs, FL
    1959 Bugeye, 1275 w/5 speed; 1960 Bugeye Project
    1963 BJ7; 1969 Corvette; 1972 Spitfire; 1980 El Camino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

FAKE NEWS!! Tell that to my two sisters who live in Myrtle beach and my mother who lives in Loris, SC. It's not a joking affair!

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Paul -

My reply was in no way an attempt to make a joke about the seriousness of Florence. I feel for those people. I have a home in SW Florida and experienced, first hand, the wrath of Irma last year. Sorry if you took my comment the wrong way.
    John Kuzman
    West Chester, OH & Bonita Springs, FL
    1959 Bugeye, 1275 w/5 speed; 1960 Bugeye Project
    1963 BJ7; 1969 Corvette; 1972 Spitfire; 1980 El Camino

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL161 View Post
    FAKE NEWS!! Tell that to my two sisters who live in Myrtle beach and my mother who lives in Loris, SC. It's not a joking affair!

Paul, I don't think John was making light of the seriousness of the hurricane, just the obvious over-dramatization of the reporter in the video I posted and some of the other videos that show past episodes where news organizations were making up stuff for dramatic effect (like acting like they are under missile attack in the first Gulf War when in fact they were not), etc. Of course any hurricane is serious and no one is making light of that.