• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to stop a leg cramp

Basil

Administrator
Boss
If you've ever had one of those night time calf cramps, you know it is not a pleasant experience. I have no idea if this will work, but it seems logical.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Might work, but ...

A four minute *talkative* video to tell you to stretch the muscle that's cramping??? Isn't that what we do anyway when we get a cramp?

I used to get "Charlie horse" (calf muscle cramp) a couple times a month, usually in summer after working in the heat, getting slightly dehydrated. Never happened again once I learned about taking a teaspoon of mustard before going to bed. Really.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice going Bas, subliminal effect. The cramps hit about an hour later. :scared:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Drink water. More water. Some find beer delicious; if drinking CAB on a hot summer evening, I drink equal beer and water to keep hydrated. And I go between o and q a lot...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Might work, but ...

A four minute *talkative* video to tell you to stretch the muscle that's cramping??? Isn't that what we do anyway when we get a cramp?

I used to get "Charlie horse" (calf muscle cramp) a couple times a month, usually in summer after working in the heat, getting slightly dehydrated. Never happened again once I learned about taking a teaspoon of mustard before going to bed. Really.

Tom, What kind of mustard, never heard of it being an aide in riding one of muscle cramps, my wife who used to do a lot of gymnastics has suffered with this problem for years, even as a youngster. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - people have been using mustard (and pickle juice) against cramps for decades. I just never knew about it until a few years ago. Lots of online references. It's probably the vinegar itself that does the trick; the sudden massive "sour" reaction seems to cause muscles to relax.

Doesn't matter what kind of mustard. Generic "yellow", or Gray's Poupon, or anything in between. I literally haven't had a night time leg muscle cramp since I started the mustard technique.

As always, check with your doctor in advance, as who knows an individual's tolerance for the ingredients in mustards and pickles.

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Might work, but ...

It's not stretching the muscle that's cramping - that's the whole point. It's relaxing the muscle that's cramping by engaging an opposing muscle. I haven't had a leg cramp in a long time, but when I do get them they hurt like heck!

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Used to get them rock climbing and surfing. Dangerous. Then the ones at night where it hurts so bad you want to cut off your leg or toe and its hurts even worse to make it to the floor or a wall for relief. Now I just stay put and relax. Seems to work after the initial writhing in pain. I now make myself drink plenty of water during the day. Two or more bananas will set them off. Weird, a cellular potassium reaction. Will get the mustard and bone spoon from the Rolls tonight and hope for the best,

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Used to get them rock climbing and surfing. Dangerous. Then the ones at night where it hurts so bad you want to cut off your leg or toe and its hurts even worse to make it to the floor or a wall for relief. Now I just stay put and relax. Seems to work after the initial writhing in pain. I now make myself drink plenty of water during the day. Two or more bananas will set them off. Weird, a cellular potassium reaction. Will get the mustard and bone spoon from the Rolls tonight and hope for the best,

The first time I ever had one was in Tech School in Biloxi Mississippi when I was 18. In Tech School, we had to march to the classroom from our barracks, about a mile and a half in the hot sun wearing combat boots. A few weeks into training, I was awoken by a calf cramp and my howls of pain woke my room mate.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Apple cider vinegar and honey. Mixed w/tablespoon 2:1, add 4 oz water and some ice. A before bed cocktail.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The same concoction will soothe a sore throat.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Good way to get a calf cramp - stretch your leg while lying in bed without bending your foot towards your head or worse, pointing your toes toward the foot of the bed. Your calf muscle is flexed and will probably cramp - bad. If you do get one, grab your toes and pull your toes toward your head thus extending the calf muscle. I haven't had a leg cramp in years.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
OK, it seems I am the second person jinxed by this thread... massive charleyhorse last night... still sore. Time for mustard and vinegar!