• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Laptop

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting.
New laptops are sold without Ethernet and video outs

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
and most don't have a CD drive now. We had trouble with my wifes new laptop and the repair guy on the phone kept wanting us to plug into ethernet and would not believe that it did not have a connection.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Which is a real pain when the WIFI card is newer than the OS you're installing.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Almost always a USB port though, and you can buy USB video outputs and CD drives (plus external keyboards and all sorts of other things).

But my new (cheap, less than a year old) laptop has both. If you need those things, best to buy a unit that has them.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
just purchased a Plugable Dock as the laptop is really my desktop
Laptop has Thunderbolt USB-C Gen 2

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We are calculatingly being boxed into a corner, friends. The limited choices of providers, ubiquity of broadband, MAC addresses on line 24/7, 365. USB NIC's, VPN "services" for subscription fees...

But take heart! It's all sooo convenient! :smirk:

D

Deleted member 8987

My new laptop has all I need. Funny. Ethernet port, USB's CD player.....built in WiFi and all that rot.....and even had XP loaded for me.
My next oldest laptop has built in WiFi, CD, USB, and has XP8.1PRO running.
My oldest laptop has three sets of batteries, remove one to plug in a CD player, built in floppy, ONE USB port, but it still works...with XP.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:computer: Last night my 14 year old 17" MacBook Pro's screen went white with a blinking file containing a question mark in the center. No response at all. Tried the simple command solutions on the interweb to no avail. Looks like a job for after work. Nice. Oh well, :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I once bet someone that some day we will pay to access websites on the Internet. If net neutrality is ended, you'll pay for fast track. You heard it here.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You already pay to fast track. Cox has different speed options. Faster costs more.
Basic $39.99 gets 30Mbps
Fast $59.99 gets 100Mbps

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi David - Net neutrality is something very different from speed packages. The topic is too controversial for discussion here, but do a few google searches on "net neutrality" and you'll see what we're talking about.

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hi David - Net neutrality is something very different from speed packages. The topic is too controversial for discussion here, but do a few google searches on "net neutrality" and you'll see what we're talking about.

Tom M.

Rutabaga