• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Across The USA - Member Meetups?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hoping to FINALLY get out of town on Sunday morning -
at least that's the plan.By 4 o'clock today,hadn't gotten anything
loaded up.
Here's a rough plan,& could change after leaving Billings.
Eureka to Kalispell,MT,then to Billings,MT,then on to Cedar Rapids,IA,
then Bourbannis,Ill,then to Dayton,Ohio,& then somehow,on to Roanoke,VA.
I wish that I could post pictures,but the computer will be packed away.
I can post updates when I have the chance,if anyone's interested.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Of course we're interested! And you'll be north of here, so can't meet with you.

Drive carefully.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - take a look at the attached. If you go to RoadTrippers.com you can plot your trip across the USA and get lists of places to visit, eat, and stay all along the way. Just a suggestion anyway. Here's a sample:

AngliaTrip.jpg

Safety Fast!

Tom M.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Of course we're interested! And you'll be north of here, so can't meet with you.

Drive carefully.

Thanks Mickey - my plans could change with the weather.
I'll see how it goes.

Tom,
Thanks,looks like a good resource.

Forgot to mention that I'll be traveling by myself.My Wife will
leave in a few weeks.
And I'll have my cell phone with me,although it might not be
turned on while driving. (707) 6 ONE 6,3 TWO 59.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If your path weren't so far north I'd be interested.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We, Doug and I, just spoke. He's south of me and we MIGHT be able to make a connection (though, gads, he's going a LONG way today). He's currently in Roseburg, OR and I'm up in Portland (about 3 hours north)... but he's swinging by the east side of town. We might be able to connect. More later...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We did it! Met up on the east side of Portland (at a friend's house in Fairview - another LBC member, "pdxpete"). Spent about an hour... Doug left and Mark right. There's his MGBGT on the trailer he's pulling. Big load in the pick-up (just off the photo).

Proof: :eek:
Doug & mark.jpg

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mark,

Great meeting up with you.Now you need to drive the Bugeye to Virginia.
Met up with another MG owner in Kalispell,MT (Bruce Feldman),& had breakfast with Jeff Slavik,
in Billings this morning.I didn't see one British car on the road.
LOTS of old cars & trucks all along the way,especially in Montana.They had
a really big windstorm while I was in Kalispell,with 50+ mph winds.Also had a few fires.

I'm in Rapid City,SD,& just found out that I'll miss Dudefest 2017 here on Saturday.
I also found out that Mount Rushmore is about 1/2 hour away,so I HAVE to go see that.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
:smile: [not sure I'm ever going to drive the Bugeye that far, even with the 5 speed... :wink-new: ]
Glad the trip continues to go well.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In Souix City,South Dakota now.This state is more boring to drive in
than Nevada!Nothing,then more nothing,& then a LOT more nothing.
Went to Mount Rushmore today,towing the trailer behind.I'm sure I
burned a lot of gas going up there - the road is really steep.It's also irritating,in that
you have to pay to park,+ to get in.I didn't have a lot of time,as I had a long drive
ahead of me,so I just wanted to get a picture.I had to go back down the road,& I'm
sure that it didn't come out well.
The speed limit is 80 (on the Interstate),& I was doing 60,to salvage some
fuel milage.Even the vehicles towing trailers were doing 80+.I also had a semi,hauling
a set of triple (3) trailers pass me at 80+.
I'm also getting sick of TVs everywhere - in resturaunts,& even at the gas pumps.
Well,only about 1250 miles to go.Next stop Iowa.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I was surprised at how fast some of those trucks can go - some were doing about 85 with no apparent problem. At some point - I forget which state - the limit on a 2 lane road was 70- for cars and 65 for trucks. That seemed dumb to me since (if drivers actually adhered to the limits) cars would pile up behind trucks and some high-risk passing would result.

I found myself in the mid-90's several times - easy to do.

Re the ubiquitous televisions - I agree completely.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Doug and rig safe in Cedar Rapids. He stopped for a couple hours, good chat. Pretty sure he said there was both an engine and transmission in the MG.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rich,

It was nice meeting up with you today - too bad I didn't
get there earlier/have more time.

Drove from Souix Falls,SD,& across Southern Minn. - BORING & WINDY.
Stopped & took a picture at the Corn Palace in Mitchell,SD,the same place my
Parents took a picture about 65 years ago.
For Basil - Stopped by & took a picture at the Surf Ballroom,in Clear Lake,Iowa,
"The Day the Music Died".

Meeting up with my Niece tomorrow.Haven't seen her in over 38 years.
Then it's off to Bourbannis,Illinois,to meet up with a Friend & his English Fords (Ken Doehring).

2700 miles down,& only 900+ to go.....