• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Math Question - How to Move All the Vehicles to Virginia?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We need to move the following vehicles from Eureka,CA,
to Roanoke,Virginia,in about two months.We'll have three drivers,& the
rest of the stuff goes in a moving van.

1995 Dodge Dakota pickup + car trailer

2010 Ford Fusion

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

1974 MG Midget

1967 MGB GT

I thought about using a Penske truck to haul one MG,
using a trailer to haul one of the cars,but they have rules against that,
as I understand.
Suggestions?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What they don't know won't hurt them. I moved a TR3A to CA in a U-haul straight truck, no one ever said I couldn't. Only tricky part was finding a suitable ramp in CA, but it turned out my employer had an unused one in the back of the building.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How many of your vehicles are equipped with tow hitches? U Haul has car transporting trailers and tow dollies.

Long drive.

David

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Draft a friend to drive one of the cars and use a rollback wrecker to load/unload your car from the U Haul.

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
If you are going to tow a car---it's my understanding that the car has to be licensed, and registered. I'm in California, and I investigated the issue
recently when I had a "problem".

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If you are going to tow a car---it's my understanding that the car has to be licensed, and registered. I'm in California, and I investigated the issue
recently when I had a "problem".

Same in Connecticut. Car has to be registered and have plates, if any of the wheels will touch the asphalt. Probably similar in many of the states between California and Virginia. Could make your trip more expensive than planned.

View attachment 49793

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Same in Connecticut. Car has to be registered and have plates, if any of the wheels will touch the asphalt. Probably similar in many of the states between California and Virginia. Could make your trip more expensive than planned.

View attachment 49793

Seems like they ought to have some sort of temporary towing plate you could get for towing barn finds etc.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
This is a 3,000+/- trip. If I needed to do this, I'd lighten the load. I'd probably sell the Midget and tow the GT on the trailer. Even with 3 vehicles + the trailer you're going to travel 9000+ cumulative miles in 3 vehicles, 2 of which are over 27 years old. There's some mountainous terrain to deal with, lots of traffic, etc. Selling one of the cars would ease the load and maybe provide emergency funds just in case...

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did exactly what you were talking about when i moved from memphis to virginia. I shipped a typhoon and 69 camaro on a car hauler, then loaded a v8 powered sprite into the back of a uhaul truck, via a rollback truck, (had them pick it up, get to same level as back of truck, drove it in.) Same to get it out in virginia. Put a c5 vette on a car trailer behind it. Easy day, good luck on your venture

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Have you gotten quotes to transport the cars with car haulers? You might get a "multi-vehicle" discount. I would assume a big part of the cost is the loading and unloading, including the time spent driving down small city streets. If one truck can carry four (?) cars at once, they will save considerable cost. (I have no experience doing this.)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So Only Trailers not dollies?

David
Right. As long as all 4 wheels are off the ground, it doesn't have to be registered. Just the trailer.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Right. As long as all 4 wheels are off the ground, it doesn't have to be registered. Just the trailer.

Depends on what state you live in, South Carolina and Oklahoma have no registration on trailers, other than commercial and recreation trailers, (camping trailers). PJ