• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Music while on hold on the phone.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In this age of digital everything I am surprised how many phone systems must use the same old tape system for music on hold. It usually sounds like the tape is badly stretched.

Maybe you can get old time hold music with the stretched sound included.

Spent a lot of today on hold. See my fridge woes.

David

D

Deleted member 8987

I have believed for a long time they do that on purpose. Healthcare providers, insurance, cable companies.
Probably none use tapes, but the widely varying volume, sometimes dropping to nothing, and stupid music to begin with, has made me think it is done to piXX you off, gain the upper hand, and make it impossible to A) hold the phone to your ear due to the crazy crescendos and B) hold the phone down in your lap and still hear the constant level of musak from the speaker.
I know by the time they answer (IF they answer) I am in no mood to play nice.

I once, long ago, called TCI or Viacom cable, got on hold (no sine wave music), was put on hold, and EIGHT HOURS LATER when I woke up in my recliner at 0100, the music was still playing.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
One place that's a little better than most is Apple Support. When I call Apple Support and have to be on hold, I'm offered a choice of type of music I'd like to listen to while on hold (Rock, Jazz, Classical, Country, etc., or I can chose no music).

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sometimes when you're on hold long enough, the melody repeats enough times that you start humming along. I don't think we've changed our company's on hold music for a decade or more, and it sounds like it.