• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

16 Year Old solo's in old Stinson

Basil

Administrator
Boss
She does a great job in a nail dragger. Fun to watch how she shakes off the nerves at the beginning - reminds me of my first solo (Cessna 172). I remember how nervous I was until I actually got airborne.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My first solo was in a Cherokee 140. We stopped on the tarmac and my instructor announced that he was getting out. I never knew beforehand that I was going to solo that day.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My first solo was in a Cherokee 140. We stopped on the tarmac and my instructor announced that he was getting out. I never knew beforehand that I was going to solo that day.

Pretty much how it happened with me. Had no clue I was going to solo until he stopped after a landing and jumped out and told me to "take it through the pattern once and land." I was nervous, but not as nervous as my first solo cross country! I spent much of the trip looking for a place to land "just in case" LOL

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was never prepared as to how much the plane would react with one less person. That plane jumped off the ground with his weight out of the plane. Wish he had given me a heads-up.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bravo to that young lady!

Sure did better than I did on my first solo. I forgot to reset the gyro, and got lost in the pattern!

:blush:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Bravo to that young lady!

Sure did better than I did on my first solo. I forgot to reset the gyro, and got lost in the pattern!

:blush:

I've probably told this story before. My son, Shaun, who went on to be AC on an Air Force KC-135, first soloed in a glider while in High School. His instructor who signed him off for his Glider certificate was an old guy names Al Santilli. Al had his own glider license signed by Orville Wright >> https://www.ssa.org/FinalGlide?show=blog&id=950 As an aside, and kind of cool coincidence, Shaun went on to UPT at Enid OK and soloed in the jet trainer on the 100th anniversary of the Wright Bros famous flight on 17 December.

Another aside, Al was also on the team at White Sands who detonated the first A-Bomb. When Al, a retired Army LT Col, was asked to swear in Shaun as a 2Lt in the Air Force he wore his old uniform, complete with a mushroom cloud patch on the sleeve.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Brought back memories for sure. My first solo was at Westchester, a big airport, in 1965. It was in a Piper Colt, a 2-seater with no flaps and a Narco Superhomer radio. If you were high on final, you slipped it in or went around. I never had to go around in that plane but years later, as a student after going back to flying, on a windy April day at Oxford, which only had one runway, I lowered the wrong wing into a crosswind on final, almost flipped over, got it straightened out but went around, my heart pounding. A Learjet pilot waiting to take off gave me a thumbs up. As I found out later, there's always a crosswind at Oxford. I flew back to Bridgeport and landed uneventfully. Only problem I ever had in 15 years of flying.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I was never prepared as to how much the plane would react with one less person. That plane jumped off the ground with his weight out of the plane. Wish he had given me a heads-up.

Me too! Not only did the airplane leap up, it did not descend as fast either! My first solo, a 150, resulted in a go-around b/c I was way too high on final. My instructor radioed me and asked if everything was ok. I replied, "Yes sir. You are heavier than I thought!" Fortunately he was a skinny fellow and took it in good humor!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Great that the young lady is getting into flying! I've always encouraged youngsters to learn to fly if it is presented to them. Once the bug bites, initially it's hard to think about anything else. Good luck to her as a future aviator :encouragement:.

My first flight and later solo was in one of these in 1957 in Kansas. Old dirt runway with pot holes everywhere :highly_amused:. PJ

Luscombe

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tower forgot who I was in the pattern when I solo'd on my 16th. Got my tail wheel endorsement in a stinson 108-2. Ended up splitting time between the stinson, a pa-12, pa 18's and some T6 time.

She did a great job on the solo but that stall horn has to go.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just came across this photo of me (when I had hair) getting ready to fly the Cherokee 140.
image.jpg

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
My first solo was in a Cessna 150. I also was surprised by how it reacted without the instructor in the plane. Also forgot to change frequency and when I discovered it I quickly changed frequencies but not before an expletive heard by all on the frequency. Tightest air pattern ever. P.S. I married my flight instructor a couple years later. Didn't see that coming.

As to Sky (believe that's her name and so fitting) she is well on her way to being a proper pilot!

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
My best friend has been flying Stinsons for over 60 years. He owns 5 of them and his son owns another. Bob (my friend) is the go to guy when it comes to Stinson parts and questions. He has warehouses of parts and sells them all over the world. It is a great airplane and she is going to be a great pilot. Many new pilots are afaid to fly taildraggers.