• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any stamp collectors here?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In going through "things in the attic", I find I have hundreds of US and foreign postage stamps, issued (and many cancelled) prior to WW1. My dad was a collector when he was a teen back in the 1920s.

Also hundreds of US Internal Revenue stamps of various denominations, printed between 1865 and 1900.

These are loose - not indexed or in albums. Some pasted onto small cardboard squares.

How the heck do I figure out if there's any cash value to these?

(I can guarantee that if I took them to a local collector, he'd say "there's no value at all, but I'll give you $10 to take them off your hands.)

Thanks.
Tom M.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have my father-in-laws stamp collection. It is a very difficult task. The vast majority of today's stamp collectors only want unused, not "hinged", mint stamps. Unless its very rare, most stamps have little value. I have been going though his stamps off and on for a year.....Its very frustrating to say the least. I have found that some revenue stamps can have value and very early(1850-1860) and higher denomination stamps tend to be worth more. Good luck. If you need more stamps just let me know. George

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you only have hundreds, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure I have at least 10,000. And I did have 15000 postcards! and I no longer speak of coins.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the post, Tom. I've got a similar collection I've tried to figure out what to do with. Seems like every kid a stamp collection when we were young, but I bet more kids are collecting Pokemon than stamps today.

I suspect more kids know what a Pokeman is used for than know what to do with a stamp anymore. For most kids today collecting stamps would be like collecting phone books or 8 track tapes.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I've been collecting for 30 years. Most US stuff is of small value. Complete sets can have value if the have the high face value stamps included. If you can find a local stamp club I'm sure you can get some honest advice. I have boxes of stamps I haven't even looked at yet. Must have close 500,000 stamps. Started as a way to stay sober and slowly lost interest.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've been collecting for 30 years. Most US stuff is of small value. Complete sets can have value if the have the high face value stamps included. If you can find a local stamp club I'm sure you can get some honest advice. I have boxes of stamps I haven't even looked at yet. Must have close 500,000 stamps. Started as a way to stay sober and slowly lost interest.

OK, I'll bite - lost interest in what? stamps or staying sober? :p :grin:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Stamps. Been sober for 28+ years now. Now I have another addiction called a Spitfire that keeps me broke and out of the bars.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Stamps. Been sober for 28+ years now. Now I have another addiction called a Spitfire that keeps me broke and out of the bars.

I knew that :grin: and we done! except of course for the new addiction, not much we can do to support you in ending that I fear :rolleyes:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
But I have all these co-dependent and co-enabling forum members who keep feeding my need for LBC information. I fear that with friends like these I will never kick the habit. Thank Goodness for a place like this where I can feel save in my depravity.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
But I have all these co-dependent and co-enabling forum members who keep feeding my need for LBC information. I fear that with friends like these I will never kick the habit. Thank Goodness for a place like this where I can feel save in my depravity.

We do what we can :fox: