• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Argh it is everywhere and things I learned

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Last night I realized the AC wasn't working in the house. Fortunately it cooled off in the evening so it was still a comfortable night. A bit of sleuthing identified the capaciter as the likely culprit so, this morning my sojourn began. First place - if the model number wasn't in their computer it didn't exist. Second place, "sorry sir we can't get that any more." Bear in mind these are electrical supply stores and not Lowes or Home Depot (where they just stare at you when you show them - don't ask me how I know.) in other words, it is just like our experience with parts shops - no one is going to walk to the back and find one that fits. And let's face it, even I know a capaciter is an interchangeable part!

fotunately, there is an electronics supply place in town and they had one - i could look at them both compare specs - who knew that was even possible ;) . So, Five minutes later I have AC again. Here what I learned.

1. A capaciter will not fail during business hours - ever.
2. A capaciter will not fail when the weather is forecast to cool down - ever.
3. When your capaciter fails, they will not have it in stock and will not be able to figure out how to substitute one.
4. A new capaciter cost me $20.
5. Therefore I will now be ordering a spare capaciter - and this simple act will save my marriage or at the very least ensure the one I installed will never fail again.
6. You might want to do the same - just sayin' :grin:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sounds like you've improved your future "capacity" to deal with this difficulty.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like you've improved your future "capacity" to deal with this difficulty.

I am glad you appreciate my attempts to keep this board current with my affairs - :p

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad you took charge so you could discharge.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
This is especially true with HVAC equipment. Most will not sell to the public. Annoying.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yep ran into the issue a few years back
ended up at grainger and buying a few to gang together as the correct mf. Was not available may even still be working!

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
5. Therefore I will now be ordering a spare capaciter - and this simple act will save my marriage or at the very least ensure the one I installed will never fail again.
:grin:
You can be assured that if you do order one, you will never need it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had 2 ignition modules go bad in my 79 Bronco when it was about 5 years old, so I bought 2 new ones and put one on and the other in the vehicle. When I sold the Bronco 10 years later, the new module was still in the box! Yes, buy 2 and you'll never have to replace one again! :encouragement: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A friend/neighbor had his home A/C go dead out a couple weeks ago, he described what it was doing and that the fan in the condenser was turned easily by hand (yes, the unit was powered down for this "test").

I told him the likely problem was the capacitor for the unit. He pulled it and brought it to me, I took it to Graingers (I have an account, the place is a rock toss from th' hovel), they matched it and he was up-and-running in a couple hours.