• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lucky day?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Trouble comes in 3's. We all know that. Today 1. TR6 broke down in my driveway after a 10-mile run. Ran flawlessly. If it broke down on the road, I would have been %$#$% because I left my cell phone home. Last time I do that. 2. Wife parking our '02 Accord clipped rear bumper of another vehicle while parking. Much paint scraped off. 3. Our son almost got killed today driving across Rte 74 from Venice to Boca Raton, Florida. A pickup truck towing a trailer approached him at over 60 mph in the wrong lane. The pickup wasn't passing another car -just speeding down the wrong side of a two-lane road. Dan had the presence of mind (and was lucky there was a shoulder and no signs) to brake and turn onto the right shoulder while the nut ran by - still in the wrong lane. He called me on his cell phone and I told him to call 911 and report the maniac. When he did, they told him they had already gotten a report of that driver and were waiting to arrest him at the end of the highway. Ironic since he just returned from 10 years in China and Thailand dodging cars and flying on sketchy airplanes all over Asia and had just taken a job in Florida. Boys and girls, we face sudden death every day we take to the highway. I flew airplanes for over 15 years and always felt safer up there than down on the ground.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - you have a lot of inner grit to survive all that! And sure glad your son is safe.

Regarding crazy drivers: imagine what fun we'll have when all the folks now driving their cars, start flying their cars!

View attachment 42960

PS - what caused the TR6 to break down?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My nephew dropped a knife on his foot about a month ago - turns out it will take surgery and minimum 18 weeks to sort. My sister was running this week, tripped and dislocated her finger - her (my sister's) administrator at work says, "well, not much more can go wrong." My sister replies "What did you just say!" yesterday we had a party for SWMBO (graduation - DR. SWMBO :grin: ) half way through my mother (84) trips off a step and cuts herself on her wine glass - fortunately no stitches but, 2 hours in the hospital later..... Coming to the original post, the hospital we took her to is is a block from a highway off ramp - relevant because we got to the intersections across from the hospital there was a cop closing the intersection - turns out there was a very bad accident on said off ramp (one dead and two helicoptered to hospital - speed a factor and likely a wrong lane) Turns out cop was keeping the intersection clear for ambulances but not really directing traffic - finally my sister had to get out of the car and ask the cop to let us through the intersection to get to the hospital - quite an afternoon.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom - if I knew what was wrong, I'd be sitting right next to Obama advising him on the Middle East. See my posts on the Triumph board.
JP - yep. Three bad things. Hope your kinfolk feel better.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ooof! That run along Rt. 74 and Rt 60 from Brandon to Yeehaw Junction are always a nail-biter for me. They seem to be magnets for fools and maniacs. Same with the junction at I-595 in Davie. Seems everyone is a NASCAR wannabe.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Wow - you have a lot of inner grit to survive all that! And sure glad your son is safe.

Regarding crazy drivers: imagine what fun we'll have when all the folks now driving their cars, start flying their cars!

View attachment 42960

PS - what caused the TR6 to break down?

Is is that flying car for real?? Looks like it came out of a George Lucas movie.

" No texting while Landing!"

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

" No texting while Landing!"
Which reminds me: my wife called her brother on Saturday. He's in the ice cream shop getting a cone. He says he will call her back from the car. She says: "With an ice cream cone in one hand, a cell phone in the other and driving? Skip it!"

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ooof! That run along Rt. 74 and Rt 60 from Brandon to Yeehaw Junction are always a nail-biter for me. They seem to be magnets for fools and maniacs. Same with the junction at I-595 in Davie. Seems everyone is a NASCAR wannabe.

was driving up the highway today and all of a sudden the semi next to me lets go with full horns - there was a car two car lengths in front of him and an idiot chose fit to slide in between him (the truck) and the car - unbelievable!

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Along my well traveled routes of I26 & I95. I've noticed that 90mph is the new 70mph.

i figure folks just loose track of their speed while texting.
(I mean really, Would you consciously push that minivan which hasn't seen a mechanic or new tires in 3 years to 90mph?)

Country flag
Never thought I'd ever say so, but for the majority of the driving population self driving cars can't come fast enough. If you can't pay attention to the road, and keep your cool in many cases, then take the task away completely and go back to being a five year old being transported by "mommy"...
My only concern in this is how will it affect those of us that are not self driving and don't want to be.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It looks like the Autotrain for us from now on. Driving between CT & FL is getting to be too stressful and tiring, especially at my advanced age.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My only concern in this is how will it affect those of us that are not self driving and don't want to be.
My thought is any predatory driver will be able to cut in front of a robotic car and cause it to brake to avoid an accident. If enough do it, traffic will be even worse. It's easier to justify if you're not cutting off a "human".

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
It looks like the Autotrain for us from now on. Driving between CT & FL is getting to be too stressful and tiring, especially at my advanced age.

autotrain might have great potential.......hanging out in the club car, snoozing in a sleeper compartment & enjoying the view from one of those skylight double deckers......("penny a point, ain't no one keepin score"). does that sound about right?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
autotrain might have great potential.......hanging out in the club car, snoozing in a sleeper compartment & enjoying the view from one of those skylight double deckers......("penny a point, ain't no one keepin score"). does that sound about right?

Now there is a song I haven't thought of in a very long time! Thank you for a lovely start to the day

(and what an evocative song!)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I do not know why human troubles are limited to "Three".
Everyone knows when it rains trouble it pours.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Now there is a song I haven't thought of in a very long time! Thank you for a lovely start to the day

(and what an evocative song!)

City of New Orleans - That is without a doubt one of the great songs of my teen years. Wow.