• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Things you may not have known about Gilligan's Island

Basil

Administrator
Boss
1. The name Gilligan was chosen randomly out of the Phonebook.

2. Bob Denver was not the first choice for the role. That would be Jerry Van Dyke (Dick's little bro), but Jerry thought the pilot script was the worst thing he'd ever read so turned it down.

3. The SS Minnow was not named after a small fish. It was named after then FCC chairman Newton Minow who once famously said that television was a "vast wasteland." The maker of Gilligan's Island didn't like the guy so made him a part of the vast wasteland by naming the boat after him.

4. The characters all had full names, but were they were seldom referenced in the show. In the case of Gilligan, it was never mentioned and only rumored as to what it was:
Thurston Howell III
Lovey Wentworth Howell
Ginger Grant
Mary Ann Summers
Skipper Jonas Grumby
Professor Roy Hinkley
There is some speculation that Sherwood Schwartz intended Gilligan's name to be Willy Gilligan

5. JFK's assassination delayed production. The filming of the original pilot was due to wrap on Nov. 22, 1963. That was the day that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. As Lyndon Johnson was sworn in, all military installations including Honolulu Harbor were ordered to close for a two day mourning period, and filming was delayed by a few days. You can actually see the American flag flying at half mast during the first season opening credits in light of this tragic historic event.

6. The skipper (Alan Hale) broke is arm is season 1 when he fell from a Coconut tree and missed the crash pad he was meant to land on. He continued filming for some period with an untreated broken arm.

7. Raquel Welch auditioned for the part of Mary Ann (I don't think that would have worked. Ginger maybe, but not Mary Ann)

8. Tina Louise, who played Ginger, was, according to some accounts, a bit of a Diva who did not socialize with the rest of the cast between scenes. She felt the role was beneath her and ruined her chances of being considered a serious actress.

9. In the early years, Mary Ann and the Professor were credited as simply "...and the rest." It was Bob Denver who advocated for the proper crediting of the Professor and Mary Ann. Denver reportedly threw down an ultimatum saying if his co-stars didn’t get a credit, then neither would he.

I remember as a kid, I couldn't wait to turn on Gilligan's Island when I got home from school.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That show made more use of bamboo and coconuts than any show in history. :wink-new:
As I look back on it, it sure is silly to think that all those people were on such a SMALL boat (millionaire and all). LOL

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That show made more use of bamboo and coconuts than any show in history. :wink-new:
As I look back on it, it sure is silly to think that all those people were on such a SMALL boat (millionaire and all). LOL

But, it was a very expensive boat :encouragement: :highly_amused:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
......and why did they pack all those clothes for a "Three hour tour"?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I loved the episodes where somebody visits the island and then leaves! LOLOLOL

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
I remember as a kid, I couldn't wait to turn on Gilligan's Island when I got home from school.

didn't know they made tv's back then. boss:friendly_wink:

We read about it on the cave walls!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I loved that show too. Couldn't wait to see it each week. One thing that always fascinated me: how the professor would use "found objects" to build things like lie detector, roulette wheel, geiger counter, ceiling fan, washing machine, etc.

Reminds me of the 1902 play "The Admirable Crichton" by J.M. Barrie. Proper English upper class people - and their butler - were stranded on a desert island. The butler did the same thing to build "modern appliances".

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I loved that show too. Couldn't wait to see it each week. One thing that always fascinated me: how the professor would use "found objects" to build things like lie detector, roulette wheel, geiger counter, ceiling fan, washing machine, etc.

Reminds me of the 1902 play "The Admirable Crichton" by J.M. Barrie. Proper English upper class people - and their butler - were stranded on a desert island. The butler did the same thing to build "modern appliances".

Maybe that play had some influence on Sherwood Schwartz.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
7. Raquel Welch auditioned for the part of Mary Ann (I don't think that would have worked. Ginger maybe, but not Mary Ann)

This could have brought a whole new take on the Ginger v. Mary Ann debate:

welch.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And at 75 (can you believe that?) she looks fantastic!
welsh.jpg

Country flag
I always enjoyed watching the professor build 101 things from coconuts and bamboo, reprogram a robot, and other handy things, yet nailing a board over the hole in the boat eluded all of them...

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I always enjoyed watching the professor build 101 things from coconuts and bamboo, reprogram a robot, and other handy things, yet nailing a board over the hole in the boat eluded all of them...

And with as much bamboo as there was, you'd think they could have built a raft!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
dawn wells.jpg