• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone use a Kodi streaming device?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My brother got one for his TV in a stand alone unit - I have downloaded the software onto my laptop - it is a bit slow because I am using Chromecast for now but am intrigued by what seems to be available in terms of streaming video

anyone else have any experience or thoughts?

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
have one but haven't installed it yet and am going to use tec savvy as a provider rather than robbers (sorry rogers)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
have one but haven't installed it yet and am going to use tec savvy as a provider rather than robbers (sorry rogers)

Keep me posted - and on tec savvy - it has been a while since I looked but the reviews for many of the alternatives seemed not so good in tech support

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I have Kodi installed in several full blown PC's connected to TV's in my hovel. I've tried messing with it on my phone and such, but didn't find the experience as satisfying. On my smaller devices I prefer to use Plex along with my ChromeCast. Since I have Kodi w/ full PCs on my TVs at home, I use my phone/tablet + Plex + ChromeCast when i'm traveling.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have Kodi installed in several full blown PC's connected to TV's in my hovel. I've tried messing with it on my phone and such, but didn't find the experience as satisfying. On my smaller devices I prefer to use Plex along with my ChromeCast. Since I have Kodi w/ full PCs on my TVs at home, I use my phone/tablet + Plex + ChromeCast when i'm traveling.

So, to clarify, you are casting with Plex? does it work better? Kodi will not (so far) cast sound only picture - which lags behind the sound on the computer.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Could someone please translate this?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Could someone please translate this?

It means we're moving closer and closer to HAL as reality.

hal20013.jpg

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
So, to clarify, you are casting with Plex? does it work better? Kodi will not (so far) cast sound only picture - which lags behind the sound on the computer.
Yes, I cast with Plex. It works better at casting in my experience.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yes, I cast with Plex. It works better at casting in my experience.

Indeed it does - went and had a lovely chat at my local Computer Bigish Box store - where they actually know about computers. They had a Kodi box hooked up - but, said it couldn't do anything I couldn't with my laptop. Found a Plex App on the TV and it is casting well - though buffering too much - so, trying to figure out why before I go too much further - may be that the Interweb Provider is slowing service at certain parts of the day - in which case I might have to find another provider. (Canada has some of the worst most expensive interweb due to an Oligopoly of providers.)