• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How Many Accidents have you had?

G

Howe you been involved as a driver in an accident that resulted in a total loss or damage to your car? Fault and type of vehicle is irrelevant. If motorcycle related, only accidents on the street that involved another vehicle. You don't have to give details but you can if you want. I'm not asking about backing into anything, rather going down the road and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Country flag
One, back when I was in college. Was on a two lane road in rural Pa. Went over a small rise with my left turn signal already on. Going down the other side of the hill, I started a left hand turn into a driveway as the bus that had been following me came over the rise already in the other lane to pass me. Last thing I remembered was looking out my side window and seeing the bus' headlight right before impact staring at me...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Several. In all but one case the other driver was cited. The one I was cited for was when I was a careless 17-year-old. No injuries but a lesson was learned... and in all instances the damage was repaired by me. Last one was in 1979. Have since avoided a couple which would have been major. Now that cell 'phones are ubiquitous the chances for another are exponentially increased. Suffice it to say I'm glad to be driving cars that are more responsive to driver input than most on the roads. Had I been driving any "average" vehicle with an automatic, I simply wouldn't be here.

Circumstances and luck play a big role, but situational awareness helps in avoiding an incident. And I'll mention: the audio device in my Alfa hasn't worked in a few years, I'm disinclined to repair/replace it, don't miss it a bit.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I understand. Much more pleasing to listen to that Alfa twin-cam hum in front of you.:yesnod::driving:

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
One that counts. 1974 a red light runner hit my door in a VW Bus. I broke my neck and spent 8 weeks in the hospital. Bus went to the graveyard, glad I'm still here.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
One. Got t-boned by a guy in a 70 Chevy who jumped out of traffic and ran a red light. I was car 2 or 3 on the green light. I was driving a 74 Oldsmobile Toronado. He hit me and backed up, went around me and fled. Fortunately someone got his plate and followed him to his house. Came back, gave it to the cops and cops picked him up. While they had me sitting in a donut shop trying to convince me to go to the hospital, they had the guy walk in and I immediately knew it was he who t-boned me. Saw him like he was having coffee across from the table. The guy lived quite near to the coffee shop and the cops decided to bring him there to see if I could also identify him. He badly damaged the front of his car. Thank goodness the Toronado was like a tank. They made me go to the hospital via ambulance. I had no injuries. He, of course, had no insurance. It was interesting in that it happened very quickly except to me. It was really that 'slow motion' action that I've heard people speak of. I looked right at him and there was no way I could get out of his way. That was the one and only. Don't wish to repeat it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
You probably won't believe it but, I got my drivers license at 17 and my pilots license at 20. I have a clean record on both. From 2 wheels to 18 wheels and single to multi engine aircraft. I'm 75 now so do your math. :encouragement: PJ

Yes I've been very lucky a few times.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have been T boned once by a woman running a red light; Of course I was in a company vehicle and she was in a brand new BMW, I was automatically fired due to the amount of the bill. The company had a no tolerance policy that any wreck that caused over ten thousand dollars worth of damage was an automatic termination regardless of who was responsible.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Two. Both cars totaled in each. First was test-driving a customers car. The guy behind me expected me to run a yellow light and accelerated into the back of the minivan I was driving. He had no license. He had lost it several years before after causing a fatality while drunk. I called my boss to tell him I had been in an accident. I just remember him saying "Was it your fault?" "No" "OK, I'll send a truck."
The second was a girl that had JUST gotten her license. I was swerving to miss her mom in the car in front of her when she cut me off turning left in an intersection, and she blindly followed her into the turn. I had nowhere to go.
Thankfully in both instances everyone walked with minor bumps and bruises.
I was not cited in either case, but looking back I can see what I could have done to help prevent both.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I have been T boned once by a woman running a red light; Of course I was in a company vehicle and she was in a brand new BMW, I was automatically fired due to the amount of the bill. The company had a no tolerance policy that any wreck that caused over ten thousand dollars worth of damage was an automatic termination regardless of who was responsible.

Seriously? You were well rid of that employer.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
I'm almost ashamed to admit how many accidents in which I have been a participant.

Started when I was 16 and inexperienced, ice on the road and hit a car in front of me. No injuries.

Got hit in the rear in my TR-3A by a drunk. No injuries. Other driver was charged.

T-boned a car who ran a stop sign with my Corvair. No injuries. Other driver was charged.

Turned left into the path of a guy who was speeding and running with no lights. Totaled both cars (my Plymouth wagon and ?) and light injuries. Other driver was charged.

Driving friends car/trailer and had gone to AL to buy a TR-3. Missed my off ramp on I-20 and and got off at next exit to go back. Crossed over I-20 and while turning back onto the on ramp I was hit from behind by a guy speeding. Other driver was charged. Slight injuries.

On my motorcycle, with a cop right behind me, I was T-boned by a teen in a big azz'd Ford. He was charged. I broke my left wrist and right heel plus road rash.

I'm not proud of my record, but only one of these encounters (first on the list) were my fault, just a victim of being in the wrong place. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Never totaled a car, I was in an accident where a small truck was totaled and I was the passenger, I wasn't hurt, but somehow the my jeans on the tops of my thighs were completely shredded without my legs being scratched at all (original Levis, accept no substitute).

I was in about 4 accidents before I was 21 or so when I was the driver, I was only at fault in one of them, where I very stupidly discovered that a slant six Valient has enough power to break grip at the rear around a tight corner in the wet, and I hit a telephone pole.

Went about 10 years with nothing further, then, in a hurry, I foolishly assumed the car in front of my was proceeding from the stop sign as it rolled forward to turn right, he stopped, I kept looking back at traffic. That was at about 30 or so. Flash forward 20 years, no accidents, then a lady backed her SUV into me in a parking lot.

The fact of the matter is, even those accidents when I was clearly not at fault, I could have avoided by paying more attention and driving defensively (the exception, when I was stopped at a light, traffic all around me, and a lady rear ended me, I saw it coming, and creeped forward a little in hopes she could stop, she ended up pushing my Sprite into the car in front of me, so I got it front and rear) One time I was going through a very fresh green (when young) anticipating the light, when a guy ran a red as it had just turned and it hit me, not my fault, but avoidable, same thing with the lady in the SUV in the parking lot, yes she backed into me, but had I been more attentive I would have caught it sooner.

I have tried to impart this lesson on my young son, as my dad told me after the guy ran the light and hit me, that there is more to driving than following the rules of the road, you have to be aware of your surroundings and anticipate problems, can't avoid everything, but you can avoid a lot of stuff, even stuff when you are not "at fault".

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
53 years and nothing to date (touch wood) not even a parking ticket

Last edited:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
One. I was merging onto a street when a bus stopped in front of me. I stopped, but the 17 year old girl in the Dodge Intrepid had her head over her shoulder and rammed my Nissan Pathfinder full force. It slammed me into the bus and caused the airbags to deploy. The long sloping nose of the Intrepid lifted my rear end clear off the ground. The airbags deployed with such force that it drove a button on my polo shirt into my sternum and cracked the sternum. The paramedics took no chances and put me in a C-collar and on a backboard, which is the most uncomfortable device in the world.

The Pathfinder was "on the edge" of being totaled. The insurance company wanted to use repro and used parts for the fix. The body shop owner, who shop I have used for over 20 years for both our business vehicles and my personal ones, told the adjuster that "I know this client and he's going to insist on using Genuine Nissan parts". The adjuster told him "If I do that, then I have to total this", and the owner said "Hey, it is what it is". To be honest, after an airbag deployment and the damage it took, I don't think I wanted it to be rebuilt, so the body shop owner did me a favor. The insurance company paid out, although I took a loss on the Pathfinder, I turned around and got a Subaru Outback, right before gas prices started to spike, so it ended up being a blessing in disguise.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"You were well rid of that employer."

Judy, I agree. I do miss the discount on auto parts though.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One in 1978. I learned alot about avoiding problems since then. I wish my kids would hurry up and learn before I go broke.