• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Would a Panhard bar fix this problem?

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
The other day I was driving in my Bugeye on the interstate doing about 70 when the car on my left decided to move into my lane without noticing that it was already occupied. I quickly turned the wheel to the right, but couldn't move too far because I was already in the far right-hand lane. The car lurched, and I had to then turn back to the left to stay in the lane, all the time blowing my horn to make the other driver know I was there.

I and the Bugeye both escaped unharmed, but it was a bit hairy the way the car handled. It felt like I was pretty close to losing control. It's hard to describe, but when I had to turn to the right and then left quickly at 70 mph, it seemed like the front end reacted instantly, but that the rear end reacted with a delay, causing an instability.

I'm guessing this is the rear axle shifting a bit left and right relative to the body as I made the two turning corrections. If so, then isn't this something that a Panhard bar would prevent and provide a bit more predictable and stable response? If so, I want one!

Dan

Last edited:

xkejoe

Freshman Member
Can't believe a panhard bar would be worth doing on a street driven BE. You may well have some loose parts back there and/or worn shocks.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Can't believe a panhard bar would be worth doing on a street driven BE. You may well have some loose parts back there and/or worn shocks.

Maybe, but I wonder. I do almost all my own work on the car and have been under it so many times I've lost count. :smile: I've had the springs out and back in twice and I know the shocks are good. There's nothing loose under there that I'm aware of. There's no rust, no cracks and no broken pieces I've ever seen. That (and the way it handled) are what made me think it was lateral movement of the rear end.

Dan

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
What is your tire pressure? It can make a huge difference

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As an auto accident reconstruction engineer consider yourself very lucky that you were driving a responsive and tight car, and were able to recover from a quick right and left turn at 70 mph! Many cars would not be able to complete that maneuver!
Scott in CA

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Scott,

As an auto accident reconstruction engineer consider yourself very lucky that you were driving a responsive and tight car, and were able to recover from a quick right and left turn at 70 mph! Many cars would not be able to complete that maneuver!
Scott in CA

Absolutely!

Dan

Country flag
How much toe-in does the car have? What type if sway bar?

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
It will tighten up the rear a bit. I really like the panhard's effect on my Bugeye. Granted I drive
a little spirited and my Sprite is modified. I installed mainly because of wider tires and
I was putting a good bit of rubber on the inside wheel wells. I was pleasantly surprised at how
it tightened up the handling . Install was fairly easy but did require a weld for a bung.
I can't see how it would hurt. It didn't seem to affect the ride quality, but then again my Sprite
is pretty stiff to start.
The Speedwell unit which I use is nicely made of top shelf materials.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Trevor,

How much toe-in does the car have? What type if sway bar?

'Not exactly sure since I didn't have it set at a shop, but used techniques described on the forums based on measuring distance across the front and rear of the front tires. It doesn't wander on the road, and the tire wear seems normal. If I had to guess, I'd say it's pretty close to spec.

It will tighten up the rear a bit. I really like the panhard's effect on my Bugeye. Granted I drive
a little spirited and my Sprite is modified. I installed mainly because of wider tires and
I was putting a good bit of rubber on the inside wheel wells. I was pleasantly surprised at how
it tightened up the handling . Install was fairly easy but did require a weld for a bung.
I can't see how it would hurt. It didn't seem to affect the ride quality, but then again my Sprite
is pretty stiff to start.
The Speedwell unit which I use is nicely made of top shelf materials.

Thank you, David. I was hoping to hear from someone who could compare how their Bugeye handled before and after installing a Panhard bar. I'm a reasonably average driver, certainly not one to see how fast I can take every curve, but what happened that day is probably as close to "spirited driving" as it gets. If the Panhard bar can give me a bit more stability in situations like that, then the cost of a Panhard bar is well worth it to get that little bit extra safety margin.

Dan

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW, I think Minimania frequently has sales, around 15% off off the original price of 199. Get on their mailing list and get the updates.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
FWIW, I think Minimania frequently has sales, around 15% off off the original price of 199. Get on their mailing list and get the updates.

Thanks, bugedd! Will do.

Dan