• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why Mini Cooper vs Cooper Mini?

Country flag
Randon question of the day:

In the 60's many people and/or dealers modified cars to be sold to the public. Mustangs were modified by Carrol Shelby and became Shelby Mustangs. It is my limited understanding that John Cooper modified Minis in a similar fashion yet those beecame Mini Coopers. Why was the designation Mini Cooper instead of Cooper Mini? So many people ask if my car is a Mini Cooper - I think because that has become the common name associated with these cars - and I always give the Shelby/Cooper comparison. That's what led me to ponder about Mini Cooper vs Cooper Mini. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
S
Country flag
Ack - that was supposed to be RandoM....teach me to proof read before posting!! LOL

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Typos happen to the best of us, Peter! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Other than the fact that it rolls off the tongue more easily, I couldn't say for certain, but it seems to be the accepted British way of incorporating the name of the tuner/modifier into the Make/model of the vehicle.

For example, we also had Austin Healey, and Jensen Healey. In each case, the manufacturer and/or model of the vehicle precedes that of the modifier. That is probably the proper way to do it, as the car is produced by the factory, and still retains most of its original components, and so the work of the tuner is but an addition to the car, not the main thing.........

There is an exception in the Lotus Cortina, but in that instance the engine, suspension and running gear were Lotus. That makes the greater and more important content a Lotus...........

OP
S
Country flag
See, you CAN learn something every day.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I had it in my mind that Austin Healey was one name, didn't know it was that way....interesting! Thanks.....is it milk and cookies time now??? LOL

OP
S
Country flag
LMAO!! Good one Steve!!!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I don't know that I'd go along with that explanation, Steve. I suspect it has all to do with how it sounds with a bit of "priority" rolled in.
Besides, Mini-Coopers were Austin or Morris Mini-Coopers, Cortinas were still Ford Lotus-Cortinas, etc.
Also, remember that "Mini" was a contraction of Mini-Minor, the Morris variant, originally. Austins were Austin Sevens (or Se7ens) at first, but the Mini name stuck, and Minor and Seven were dropped. It was the time of the Mini-skirt, too, with Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, etc. There were lots of Mini-thisses and Mini-thats at that time. If they'd called them Morris Cooper-Mini, the public would probably ahve turned it around anyway!

Then we had Sunbeam-Lotus, Vauxhall-Lotus (or for that matter Opel Lotus) in their turn, to say nothing of Armstrong-Siddeley, Sunbeam-Talbot, Talbot-Darracq, Straker-Squire, etc., etc. from bygone eras.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
But we still had the manufacturer's name first, followed by the secondary company...... as with the Sunbeam Lotus and Vauxhall-Lotus.

I missed Ford from the Lotus Cortina deliberately, too lazy to type it /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The others you mention were mergers of companies, the same as with Daimler-Chrysler over here, the principal (buying) company being the first name in the title.

Similar examples I can think of would be from Europe, as in Fiat Abarth, Renault Gordini, BMW Alpina......always the manufacturer first, and the tuner as secondary.

I'm not saying that my theory is absolutely correct, but you have to agree it's a good one! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Good point. Speedwell Sprite for that matter. I didn't say I was correct..... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

But I was close. Oh well, another theory shot down in flames!

MGADerek

Exceptions to every rule! I'd guess it was a combination what rolled off the tongue easier and the corporate might of BMC.

For what it's worth, here in Quebec the locals who vaguely remember the Mini always ask me if mine are "Cooper Minis"? Have a hard time explaining that every Mini isn't a Cooper! So I've pretty much given up and simply say "Yes". Makes them happy and saves a lot of explaining. I even get the same question when driving my Clubman Estate!