• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT: Mini Cooper

Morris

Yoda
It has been a long time since I have seen a true Mini up close and personal. Well, I saw a Mini Cooper S yesterday and I was STUNNED by how small it was. It was half the size of my Midget. I must have one!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
One of the few cars on my true short list of cars to own some day. Tiny, but amazingly roomy. I've driven one around a parking lot, and was plenty comfortable. Much roomier than the Bugeye.

Bugeye58

Yoda
The Mini is one of the LBC's I've inexplicably never owned. Driven a ton of them, but for some reason have never owned one.
They are an absolute blast to drive, even the non "S" versions.
The 850 MiniMatic may be an exception, though. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

Country flag
Barely wider than a spridget, but much shorter.

dklawson

Yoda
I guess Minis are a bit shorter... but I don't think they're any narrower and the Spridget certainly puts you closer to the ground. They are a blast to drive and for those of you with Spridgets, a lot of the mechanical bits will be very familiar to you if you stay with a Mk1 or Mk2.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Years ago I had a friend with one - he was 6' 7" and could touch the ground from the driver's seat and put his arms out both windows at the same time. didn't drive from the back seat though

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Dad used to race them in the 70s. I fixed one up in high school and had a blast racing it myself. Unbelievable abilities that little car had!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I used and abused scores of old Minis in the 80s while in England. They were dirt cheap to buy and people would give you old ones that would not pass MOT inspection. I think the mini and the midget are about the same length. The mini is just taller so it looks shorter. What I get a kick out of is the new minis, they are so much bigger than the old mini that it is rediculous, they are even bigger than the old austin maxi. austin maxi link

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
I just brought a 67 Austin Cooper S project home. The Mini is 10 feet long to the Midgets 11 feet. The Minis are a blast to drive, but so have my Spridgets. The handling of the Mini is greatly attibuted to it's all independent suspension. Plus, with Hi-Los, you can get it closer to the ground like a Spridget. Oh, and the Mini has those great little 10" wheels.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Hedgehog said:
I just brought a 67 Austin Cooper S project home. The Mini is 10 feet long to the Midgets 11 feet. The Minis are a blast to drive, but so have my Spridgets. The handling of the Mini is greatly attibuted to it's all independent suspension. Plus, with Hi-Los, you can get it closer to the ground like a Spridget. Oh, and the Mini has those great little 10" wheels.
Does it have the rubber cone or the hydrolastic suspension? Those with the 10s really whine on the highway at speed. Be careful with it. They will roll, I have been in two that rolled over.

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
She's got the hydrolastic suspension, but I'm going to rebuild her with the rubber cones instead. She'll be mostly original other than that. I haven't rolled one yet, though my last one I did drive quite hard through most corners. That's what's great with the LBCs, you don't slow down for corners! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, I guess I'm backwards, but I drive a Riley Elf, and have just sold my '60 Mini and just bought a 72 Mini. I have had 10 MGBs but never had a Midget. I love the way the Elf handles (it's basically a Mini anyway). Looking forward to the Mini arriving from New Zealand. For you folks that want a Mini, I can only say,"GET ONE". They are out there. If you need help finding one, let me know.
Bruce

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, I guess I'm backwards, but I drive a Riley Elf, and have just sold my '60 Mini and just bought a 72 Mini. I have had 10 MGBs but never had a Midget. I love the way the Elf handles (it's basically a Mini anyway). Looking forward to the Mini arriving from New Zealand. For you folks that want a Mini, I can only say,"GET ONE". They are out there. If you need help finding one, let me know.
Bruce

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bruce

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bruce, I just need help finding the funding for one. Anything you can do there? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I am with you Drew...

And Bruce, I am so jealous of your Elf. I am pleasantly surprised you could get one on this side of the pond. I know it's the same thing as a Mini, but the fact that it is called an "Elf" just makes it that much cooler.