• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's reasonable, ballpark

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I've got that 1275 sitting in my garage that I would like to rebuild but it spent a lot of time in less than ideal conditions. To really sleep well at night I would want to hot-tank and mag it before I went through with the rebuild. How much (ballpark) should I expect to pay if I take a bare block into a machine shop, Napa or similar? Also, will I have to have the cam bearings and freeze plugs replaced afterwards?

I haven't purchased any parts yet and I would like to know that it will be worth my while before I do so.

I know it would be a lot easier to call around to the machine shops and get estimates but I'm bored anyway so I thought I would ask here. Gives me something to do.

JACK

Well first off I would take the freeze plugs out before the caustic wash, that way it will do a better job cleaning the block. In the old days alot of machine shop had a sumerge tanks, now they have spray cabinets. I also pull the oil galley plugs out as well, if you're going to replece the cam bearing then they need to pull first as well, remove the pressure regulator pieces all block drain plugs, basicly you want the block as bare as you can get it. There are tow types of caustic solutions commonly used in machine shop, aluminum safe and non aluminum safe, so if the cam bearings are left in the block you need to ask them to use the aluminum safe caustic wash. A caustic was if you remove everything first will normally only cost aprox.$50, more if they remove everything, for the cam bearings you'll need the right tool for that job, but with freeze plugs on a 1275, just a dowel punch or screwdriver and a hammer, hammer the plugs until it cocks, then pluck it out with the screwdriver. Oil galley plug are a little tougher, the tow most popular methods are to drill them out with a mill or drill press, or use a dent puller , and drill the appropriate hole in the plugs to thread the dent puller and then pull them out.