• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

56 100-4 ballpark price

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
R/h drive, one of 280 made. Body is decently restorable. Engine is out for a rebuild as is the tranny which has a broken shift fork that is N/A. Consider the interior and top gone. What is a ballpark figure as to worth? It is definitely doable as it has been in a desert climate pretty much since new, always in the same family.
After reading below, amybe it is a 100-4; the book I looked at earlier only listed 100-M and 100-6 for 56.
This is a r/h 4 cylinder.

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: chris roop ]

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited by: chris roop ]</p>

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Your question is impossible to answer. But generally, Healeys in this condition are virtually value-less (unless it's a 100S; but don't worry, it isn't). The time, effort and money necessary to restore it will undoubtedly far surpass its value when finished.

Even if you could get it for free, you are still looking at a huge commitment to restore it, and unless it is to be a labor of love, you would be far wiser (and you'd save years and tens of thousands of dollars) to buy one that is already in the condition you desire.

The Right Hand Drive has some novelty/curiosity value (notice I didn't say cash value), but you might find someone in the UK willing to take it on. Generally, RHD is more of a detractor than an asset in Left Hand Drive countries.

Really it is worth only what its individual parts are worth, and that may not be too much given the brief description you gave. Sounds like a $1000-3000 collection of parts, but to make any kind of really informed estimate, we'd have to see several good photos and a more complete description.

-----

By the way, I'm assuming that the car is indeed a 100, and not a 100M or 100-6. If it's a "factory 100M," it's worth more; if it's a 100-6 it's worth less. See the Big Healey Model Overview.

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: AHCUSA ]</p>

OP
C

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks. I haven't seen the car yet, but other club members have. One has done research on it and came up with the 1 of 280 ever made figure. All who have seen it state that it is a doable venture.
For sure, it is a 100 of some kind as it has the 4 cylinder engine. It was bought new by the brother of the current owner when he was in the service in England, then shipped back.
Your price is about what I was thinking based upon a condition 5 rating from VMR International.
Personally, I would prefer a l/h drive car. 100-4s are hard to find out here in eastern Oregon.
Thanks again! I just read your link and figure it for a 100-4 with the 4-speed o/d tranny.
I've wanted another one ever since the last one.

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited by: chris roop ]</p>

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chris roop:
Thanks. I haven't seen the car yet, but other club members have. One has done research on it and came up with the 1 of 280 ever made figure. All who have seen it state that it is a doable venture.
]
<hr></blockquote>
Chris,
I hope that the other club members are experienced with restoring an AH when they say it is doable. The 1 of 280 is no doubt due to it being a RHD. As stated previously, not particularly an asset.

I think that the AH is a lot harder & more expensive to restore than the MG or Triumph. Especially if it needs frame/chassis/inner body work. If you do it right, you certainly won't make any money on the car. If just for fun & a lot of work, go for it & enjoy.
D

OP
C

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
Dave, it would be just for me, no profit in mind, no idea of selling it.
I did that with the last one due to facts of life, and have wanted antoher one ever since.
There is nothing like firing up a 100-4, especially on a brisk Spring morning, then switching into o/d.
As for degree of difficulty, beyond working with more aluminum, I don't know. MGAs have frames too.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Chris - I'm with you...the one car I wish I'd never sold was my 100-4! Someday...

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Chris:

Enjoy the car, it sounds like quite a challenge. I know of many good Healeys that have been built up from worse sounding original condition.

Reid is probably right that it will cost you more to restore it than it is worth. But this is almost always true, one rarely recovers the restoration costs, particularly if they are figured at professional restoration rates. If you want to make money with a Healey, I suggest you get one for a good price, sit on it and sell it for a higher price later.

But many Healeys have been lovingly reconstructed by their owners with sweat equity and some professional services farmed out. These restorations probably are not economically worth it, but most of the owners had a great time and do not regret the process.

I have not bought a Healey of late, but I don't see too many "restorable" hulks going for much less than $4000. Obviously, the devil is in the details. Rust is a problem with these cars, and it takes skill to repair it. But there are repair panels and sections available that make it a bit easier to deal with. Missing engine and transmission parts on the 100 can be hard to find, but that situation is almost better today than it was 30 years ago when I restored my 100.

You are doing the right thing, try to get someone who knows Healeys to look at the car. Then go buy it and don't tell anyone what you paid for it until many years later.

ps., I paid $1100. for my Healey 100 in 1973. I had to tow it home. My friends told me I paid way to much for it. They were probably right. But this car has repaid my initial investment many fold as far as I'm concerned.

See you on the road!
Bill.

[ 04-18-2004: Message edited by: Healey 100 ]</p>

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chris roop:
[QB]R/h drive, one of 280 made. Body is decently restorable. Engine is out for a rebuild as is the tranny which has a broken shift fork that is N/A. Consider the interior and top gone. What is a ballpark figure as to worth?
/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Sounds and looks like Chris and I are sort of a kindred spirit alike. I too restored MGB's and Sprite's until I first bought my AH BN7. My car also was a rusted basket case. Key word "was." I will first tell you be prepared for the worst. The rust is everywhere you can't see. If I were to do it all over I'd purchase a Jule frame and chassis and start from there. It took me 12 years to complete my car, working only on weekends and some evenings. I don't have a cost value, a long time ago I didn't believe that to be important. You are fortunate to have someone living not to far away that can help with all the body panels. Contact Everett Smith at "Vintage Automotive Engineering" (503)459-2588 in Oakland Oregon 97462 zip code. He is very familiar with AH and can provide you with repair panels you can't buy anywhere else. Excellent work quality as well.
I paid $1500 for my car in 1990. I'll send you some photos if you like. Email me at jlore26@att.net if you'd like to see some real rust.

smile.gif