• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What are these actually for?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Cut off the Trumpet section for replacement today, and was trying to figure out how to fabricate these oval openings:

404d5806.jpg

Question is.. What exactly was the point in putting in these two openings in the first place? What purpose do they serve besides just being somthing else to rust?

Thanks for the anticipated answers.

Paul

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I use the ones on my V8 car to help air exit the engine compartment...I actually cut one off the driver side of a parts car & welded it to the passenger side so I have 2 on either side:

20oct3.jpg

20oct1.jpg

one side has wiring coming through, maybe the other side is for the wiring on a RHD car.?.?.?.?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's one of the uses, Kenny - did RHD cars have wiring on the left side or did it stay where our wiring is?

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Yeah, I think it's for the wiring for either a RH/LH car. On my LH drive car, the truck release cable comes through there.

Aparently after some photo searching, wiring goes down same side of the car in UK (as it does here), so it may be designed in to help remove some heat from the engine compartment anyway. Sounds good to me. Also makes accessing the hinge/bolt on later pedal boxes easier too. (the one that keeps working it's way loose on my car).

Yeah, I think my hood release cable comes through (or near) one of these holes too.

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think my hood release cable comes through (or near) one of these holes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, it comes through the one closest to the front, but the opening only needs to be about an inch, not 6 X 10 for gawd sake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Maybe I will just fit a solid piece in that spot and put in a 2" opening for the cable. Nothing comes through the rear one or the smaller one right on the bulkhead

Paul

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The smaller one right on the bulkhead - if I'm thinknig about the same one you are - is an access hole for the backside of the master cylinders...& you'll need it if you ever remove the whole assembly!

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No. talking about the one you can see in my picture. Far right above the shelf. Is it a warm air vent or somthing?

Paul

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Paul,

It's certainly not a vent for anything. If you want, just make a patch and welder 'er up. I'm sure you can some what shape a piece of sheet metal to fit. I wouldn't completely weld up the hole, that would be too DPO. Most of the top part is hidden by the fender anyway.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gotta be a reason why they took the tme to stamp & cut...the cable, the wiring, access....fresh air flow into the inner parts of the body cavities to keep mildew out???? Don't think I'd close any of them completely.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I would speculate that that hole allows air in and out...engine heat out and fresh air into the fender...thereby allowing better drying and the prevention (or less promotion) of rust back behind the fender.
Just a thought though...

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

oops...sorry Tony, didn't see your similar response on page 2 before I posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Bruce - once again it just proves that great minds thnk alike!

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, mine must have been built late Friday afternoon or early Monday morning then.

Because mine have rust!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

On the RHD (early 60ties/early 70ties) the wiring harness goes through a grommet on the firewall just below the pedalbox (ie right side of the car), the throttle cable goes through the stiffening box on the right side and is mounted off the master cylinder cover and the bonnet(hood) release is on the passenger's side (ie left side).

I suspect the holes are to help those cavities breath as on the earlier cars the RH forward (trumpet) section is closed on the inner wing and the lower joint often rusts through locally on the inner wing at this point even in hot climates like Perth which would indicate condensation and no drainage.

Opening up the space would allow normal air flows which would prevent a buildup of condensation.

regards

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul,those holes are there primarily to control the crush, or crumple, of the sheet metal in an impact. They are flanged to add rigidity to the panel, while allowing it to crush at a predicted rate, absorbing energy in a crash.
There are certainly additional benefits, such as exhausting heat, and lightening of the panel.
Jeff, (exiting engineeer geek mode.)

M

MGBJockey

Tony and Bruce. That would be a first! LBC with some forethought on preventing rust! Come onnnnnn!

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Figured there must have been some logical reason for them, so I spent a few hours today on that part. Turned out not too bad, at least it will be hidden /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

68955840.jpg

Paul

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not bad!!!!

Nice - is that aluminum or steel you patched in - looks like Aluminum in the pics - very pretty.