• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Was this a smart thing to do?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Just picked up the Smart car that I reserved a year ago in June. I swear, it gets more astonished looks than the Bugeye. After a whole day driving it, I have to say I'm impressed. The only strange thing about it is the automatic manual transmission, if that makes sense: a "manual" transmission, clutch and all, that is automatically operated. (You can shift it manually, too, but there is no clutch pedal.) Takes some getting used to--some hesitation between gears, which you can control by driving it properly, and low-speed behavior that is a little odd compared to a conventional automatic. The suspension is stiff, which has caused some complaints, but I suspect most people here would be quite happy with that.

I was a little concerned that this would not be the car I really wanted. But it's more practical than, say, another LBC. And, of course, the 40+ MPG should be nice. I think it will grow on me.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I was tooting along in fast, two lane traffic in Tenafly, NJ recently (in the Miata...top down).

I look in the mirror and see a young girl following closely in a Smart.
She's drinking a latte and talking on a cell phone.

When I see stuff like that, I know they've been <span style="font-style: italic">accepted</span>. :laugh:

Hope you have good luck with your's. I wish they'd bring the Smart Roadster here.

Smart Roadster
mmc_smart_roadster_xx.jpg

Country flag
I pass one parked by where I work. It backs into the space facing outwards so it's at right angles to all the other parked cars. Very weird to see, but they can then pull out and go either direction, so I guess it's practical....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Saw one in traffic yesterday. No thanks.

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
I hear you on that Nial, though instead of the Smart Roadster, I'd be interested in seeing the Weisman III over here.

Weismann_gt_coupe-17-L.jpg

Now the question is, BRG or Black?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
saw one in Scotland this summer - it was very cool - as was the smart roadster and the new Fiat 500 and the DB7 and the - what were we talking about?

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've never seen a Smart roadster, but I'd be very interested in looking into them if they still existed. The Project Kimber was supposed to resurrect them, but I haven't heard anything about it for a couple of years. Their website stalled around mid or late 2006, which probably isn't a good sign.

But, yes, the Smarts are all over Europe. They're the best selling car in Germany right now; not hard to imagine why.

R

RonMacPherson

Roger Penske was supposed to be involved in dealership set up on them from the distributor level. This info is about a year old.

We had a "Smart" car dealerhsip set up here on Oahu about two years ago. He came to our monthly yachtclub luncheon and pimped the smart car. Sadly, he was asking 30K for it. So I think the only buyers were his relatives... He folded shop here around 8 months or so ago.

Anyone remember the Messerschmidts in the early 50's, Or the Isetta?

swift6

Yoda
Out of curiosity, have you checked the availability of tires for it? They are, or were, an oddball size. I worked at a dealership a few years ago that was selling Smart cars and they had to order tires from Europe. Not a single tire distributor in the US carried the correct size. With factory supported (?) dealers now that might not be such an issue.

The gearbox is a little strange to get used to and the performance can be quite snappy. The seating and visibility are also pretty good. Though they don't really win any practicallity awards. There are a few small cars available for less money that get similar gas mileage, will carry four adults and have much larger cargo capacity. But they won't turn many heads.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Up here in Canada, Smart Cars have been extremely popular since their introduction a few years ago now... They seem to be the kind of car that are spawning a bit of a cult following, with many formal and informal clubs starting up

Heck, I just missed a killer candid "street" photo of a Smart Car, this one could have been an award winner I think, if I even got the photo! Anyway, enough of that.

I know I would consider a Smart Car (as a second car) if I had enough money...

William

Darth Vader
I'm seeing quite a few Smarts here in the Chicago subs. There are three different ones at the train station every morning.

While I like the concept behind the Smart car-I think something easy to drive and park would be ideal in the city-I can't stand the looks of the thing. I realize that such a small, tall car is going to be hard to style, but hiding it behind a bunch of fake technical looking silver plastic is not the solution. The Roadster's not too bad looking-I've seen a few and they definitely look better in person than in photos.

I love the new Fiat 500, and have a particular lust for the new Abarth 500. That car makes me forget any notions I had towards das MINI.

-Wm.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To answer that question, I have to ask you some other questions:

1. How much did it cost?

2. What's the gas mileage on your present car?

3. What's the average price per gallon for regular in your area?

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ton of these in Vancouver.

The deisel gives good torque and fuel mileage and they seem to be pretty popular.

I'd be more interested if they imported the more sporty version, but then I'd probably die under the wheels of a Hummer with a lady driver with lipstick in one hand and cell phione in the other, whoc wouldn't even notice the thuimp as she drove over me.

smart_roadster_11_03_04.jpg

Country flag
And don't forget the hockey equipment and the oil detecting and drilling rig! :laugh:

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
My understanding is that the SMART Car was designed for urban transportation -- compact, easy to maneuver and park and not necessarily high gas mileage...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
CraigFL said:
My understanding is that the SMART Car was designed for urban transportation -- compact, easy to maneuver and park and not necessarily high gas mileage...

my friend talks about 80 mpg (imperial) at 60 MPH

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The Canadian ones, especially the diesels, have much better fuel economy, and the European ones are better too, albeit with smaller engines. My first two tanks of gas have been 37.7 and 36.5 MPG--and that's real urban driving, AC on, no car-dealer cooked statistics. So it's a bit better than a Corolla (~29-30) or a Fit (~32), but not so much that you'd regret it if you got the latter because of their four seats.

I think the Smart is a model for the future, not yet perfected, but that's the case with early technology. I do think they could have done better re gas mileage, but for now, it'll do.

swift6

Yoda
Its a car for cities with high traffic congestion in small spaces with small streets. Much like many of the smaller cars that are available in Europe that we don't get here (yet). They make a ton of sense in large/old european cities.

I saw a Dodge Durango once in Rome. We call that a mid-size SUV. In Rome it might as well have been Godzilla. It was huge compared to all the other cars trying to drive around it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, do the math...at 10mpg more than your car applied to the price of the Smart...how many years would it take to recoup your money?

& gas prices aren't gonna stay this high too very long...then, it could be a wash - or loss!

Heck, my '87 Jaguar XJ6 with AC on got 22 mpg this week on my trip to Mississippi!