• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Was 100M from Chasing Classic Cars sold this weekend?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
Know the red over black 100M that was featured in Wayne Carrini's Chasing Classic Cars has been talked about and thought it was going up for sale this weekend at Amelia. Did not see it yesterday on RM's site and do not recall if Gooding still has an auction at Amelia. Anyone know if it sold and for how much ?
Thanks
Mike

RandyHicks

Sure would like to see the BMIHT Certificate. Reading the description closely, I wonder if this car is one of the 640 Factory Built 100M's.

Bonhams doesn't ever state that it is. It does state; "
This is an extraordinary example of the increasingly popular Le Mans package Healey." A kit or factory? :fat: Stir, Stir........

Randy

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Randy and Rick,
Yep, this is the one from Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne Carrini talked about selling it at Amelia, just didn't know which auction. Think the estimate was $250,000 so fell short of that. Believe it is the real deal and the description talking about getting a Heritage Certificate, talking to Bill Meade and 100M Registry adds to that belief. Carrini talked about it being one of the 640 when he looked at for his show and know some on the forum are not huge fans but always found him very friendly and willing to talk cars if you run into him.
Regards
Mike

Country flag
Hey Randy and Rick,
Yep, this is the one from Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne Carrini talked about selling it at Amelia, just didn't know which auction. Think the estimate was $250,000 so fell short of that. Believe it is the real deal and the description talking about getting a Heritage Certificate, talking to Bill Meade and 100M Registry adds to that belief. Carrini talked about it being one of the 640 when he looked at for his show and know some on the forum are not huge fans but always found him very friendly and willing to talk cars if you run into him.
Regards
Mike

Are we sure about this? The one on CCC was supposedly a one-owner, all original car; this one was bought by Fink at 20 years' age and, according to the write-up, has 'De Dion Rear Axle with Coil-Springs' and 4-wheel disc brakes.

I have the CCC episode on file; I've watched it several times and think I would have noticed disc brakes, but maybe not. I'll watch again tonight. Now, looking closer at the main photo it appears the car has drum brakes; it's almost like the specs part of the write-up is for a different car.

RandyHicks

Mike, remember that Bill M. registers "Le Mans" & Le Mans Conversion cars as well as factory 100M's. Just because Bill has it in his registry does not determine what it is. And Wayne is a showman.... :smile:

Randy

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Are we sure about this? The one on CCC was supposedly a one-owner, all original car; this one was bought by Fink at 20 years' age and, according to the write-up, has 'De Dion Rear Axle with Coil-Springs' and 4-wheel disc brakes.

I have the CCC episode on file; I've watched it several times and think I would have noticed disc brakes, but maybe not. I'll watch again tonight. Now, looking closer at the main photo it appears the car has drum brakes; it's almost like the specs part of the write-up is for a different car.

Same car. From the earlier thread when the CCC episode aired:

George Fink, the owner of that 100-M was at one time a member of the Minnesota Healey Club although he did not readily attend events. We had been after him for a number of year to join which he eventually did.

I had a couple of conversations with him many years ago and went over to his house about 25 years or so. He let me take photos of his car. I saw the TV show and it looked the same to me. It is truly an all original car rust free car in very good condition as portrayed on the TV show, including the original top, tires, tool kit, etc. etc. etc. I think it had at the time between 25,000 - 27,000 miles when I saw it.

It will be interesting to see what it sells for. It is also on the 100 M registry under factory cars as F015.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...Original-Owner-Factory-100M&highlight=chasing

Country flag
Yeah, I'm now convinced it's the same car--the original tools and manuals in the boot did the trick--though IIRC it was implied it was a 'one-owner' car on CCC. The DeDion/disc references must be no more than (extremely) sloppy editing on the part of the auction house, or a common 'copy-and-waste' computer-era mistake.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey Randy and Rick,
Yep, this is the one from Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne Carrini talked about selling it at Amelia, just didn't know which auction. Think the estimate was $250,000 so fell short of that.
Mike

Bonhams estimated the price at $150-200,000. Carrini had the $250k estimate. Did well by the Bonhams estimate.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, I'm now convinced it's the same car--the original tools and manuals in the boot did the trick--though IIRC it was implied it was a 'one-owner' car on CCC. The DeDion/disc references must be no more than (extremely) sloppy editing on the part of the auction house, or a common 'copy-and-waste' computer-era mistake.

Was that four-eyed monster the only Healey with a DeDion rear suspension?

mrunci

Country flag
Remember there's a buyer's premium of 25% on vehicles that hammer down over $100,000 at the Bonham's sale. The sale price posted is said to include this premium. The seller also paid a seller's fee of somewhere between 6% - 10% of the hammer price plus a catalogue fee to list the car. All in I don't think the price realized is consistent with prices realized for factory original 100M's at other sales over the last couple of years. If unrestored originality is the flavor of the moment this result (for the seller) seems to me to fall short of market-based expectations.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Remember there's a buyer's premium of 25% on vehicles that hammer down over $100,000 at the Bonham's sale. The sale price posted is said to include this premium. The seller also paid a seller's fee of somewhere between 6% - 10% of the hammer price plus a catalogue fee to list the car. All in I don't think the price realized is consistent with prices realized for factory original 100M's at other sales over the last couple of years. If unrestored originality is the flavor of the moment this result (for the seller) seems to me to fall short of market-based expectations.

Boy, you really have to pay to play in the big leagues. Nice deal when you can collect a commission from both the buyer and the seller. Here's what Bonhams shows as their buyer's premium rates for U.S. auto auctions:

25% on the first $100,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from $100,001 to $2,000,000 of the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over $2,000,000 of the Hammer Price

So the seller will get about $150,000 from the sale? One wonders what Mr. Fink's widow was paid for the car?

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
I am shocked, shocked to learn that the auction companies are making a fortune from the constant churning of the collector car market!

But that 100M does look like a nice, well preserved original low mileage car, in spite of the DeDion rear suspension and four wheel disk brakes.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
What's interesting is that on the Bonham's site (right hand side of the 100M page), there are two (2) other cars shown as being offered from the "George Fink Collection". Both are Morgans and neither were mentioned in the CCC episode....

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What's interesting is that on the Bonham's site (right hand side of the 100M page), there are two (2) other cars shown as being offered from the "George Fink Collection". Both are Morgans and neither were mentioned in the CCC episode....

When I googled his name earlier, I saw a reference that he was both a Healey club member and a Morgan club member. So what are the requirements to have a "collection" ? Does my bugeye and big Healey count as "The HealeyRick Collection?" :greedy_dollars: :greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::jester:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Randy,

You're right, I misread the page! Good thing real estate brokers haven't figured out how to get the buyer and seller pay a commission.

Rick--

Actually they have but the double commission is simply paid differently and at different times:

When the buyer is a buyer he pays what the seller will take plus the broker's commission.
When the buyer is a seller he pays what the buyer will pay less broker's commission.

It comes to the same thing as in both cases a middle-man must be paid his or her customary cut or the deal does not go down.