• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Want new grommet set, engine bay/firewall

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Want a new grommet set for the firewall/engine bay area
'74 TR6. Couldn't seem to find them from Moss. I'd like
to order through them. Anybody point me to where I
missed them?

Thanks,

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yuk, don't care much for there new look

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
2wrench:

I ordered mine from TRF in "kit" form ... I haven't restored my car but replace any "perished" gromments when I am working on something. I am happy with the TRF parts.

Matt

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Me, too! If you can afford to wait about a week from order to delivery, I think the TRF kit will suit your needs; so far, I've replaced nearly all the firewall grommets in my '74 TR6....

G

Curious, how does one replace the rubber grommets in the firewall without stripping out the wiring harness and threading those little buggers over the wire bundles? I know when one buys a new harness the grommets are built in, but that is before taping. I understand anyone wanting new grommets because even mine, which are relatively new, are showing stretch and some drying. One of the, if not the worse offenders for allowing water to seep into the floorboards, grommets are not perfect for sealing the firewall. I have resorted to laying butyl rubber from a caulk gun onto all of my grommets to seal them up. Pretty much undetectable and really water-seals the firewall.

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Bill, I think you have to slit them from hole to edge ... several of the larger grommets in my engine compartment are like that.

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's what I thought I'd do. Maybe not the best
install; but if butylized, I suppose it will be okay.
Can't think of another choice.

I'll order through TRF, thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup-yup. If the task of disconnecting/fishing the harness thru the holes is not an option, slitting the grommets is the only way. Aligning the slit to a four 0'clock (or eight 0'clock) position will keep what little water they may see from getting in the cab.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
2wrench
No slits, with the engine out there are only 2 wire bundles and there are already disconnected. It' not very difficult to thread them through.
I used the TRF kit and it's working fine. I have the main harness back in and did the battery harness last night. I use the Napa Sil-glyde product to rub over all the rubber parts.
It really helps keep them from drying out and will help re-vitalize old. I used this on my Norton and parts that others have replaced at the same time have perished and mine, that I rubbed the grease on are still going strong. I just rub some on with my fingers, let it set to soak as long as I can and then buff it a little to remove the excess.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Rubber tubing will work in place of grommets.All you need to do is find the right diameter turn-it inside-out,cut it to size slip-it into the hole & super glue the end.Old time trick:O)Worked for me.
Ken