• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vinyl Glue

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the exact thread I remember seeing it in.

I am recovering some interior panels in vinyl. What is a good adhesive that I can find locally? In the past I had decent luck with the 3M spray adhesive (seems to be a little more difficult to find lately). I also remember reading on here about some people using a contact cement.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I reglued the vinyl to the console under the dash. I tried 3M and I tried Auto Goop - ended up using contact cement.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I never seem to have good luck with contact cement/rubber cement. Last panel I did was plywood so I wrapped and stapled.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
The 3M Super 77 should be available at Ace / True Value but Loctite makes a similar product called High Performance Spray Adhesive that is available at Lowes.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Excellent, thanks guys. I can easily get to either ACE or Lowe's. I used whatever garbage Pep Boys had when I originally recovered everything, and it all pulled up. I also had cut the vinyl a little too short so there wasn't much to wrap over. I picked up some cheap vinyl this weekend and will really adhere/wrap it to hold me over for the next year or two until I tear it down for a full rebuild. I just want it to look respectible and not get my arm sticky when I am cruising :wink:

bugimike

Yoda
I would also recommend the 3M Super 77 multipurpose spray!!! (be generous with it! + 3M Adhesive remover for any overspray. :wink: )

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Well, the wife sent me a "please stop and get..." list from the grocery store - there's a true value in that plaza, so I'll stop by on the way home :smile:

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Picked some up...so, do you use it like contact cement? Spray vinyl, spray backing, let it get tacky, then adhere?

dklawson

Yoda
The strong stuff is 3M-90. It is available with the 3M-77 at Lowes. It is suitable for most interior work and like -77 it's a spray contact cement. I just bought two cans yesterday for $13/each.

However, for heavy vinyl, you may need some additional back-side securing like short staples.

Since both the -77 and the -90 are contact cements, you do exactly as you described: spray, wait, check how tacky the surfaces are, then press together and hope/pray you had everything aligned right.

evic1

yes-super 77 is great-also 3-m super trim adhesive available at Napa or car quest or any GOOD parts store. Follow can directions and you can't go wrong. Do not press firmly until you are sure that is where you want it! Joanne's fabrics has 1/4" headliner material if you want to back the vinyl and give the panel a little body. If the panels are in sound condition and just aged & faded we've used SEM color coat on them-it's a paint made specifically for plastic & vinyl. Just used the palamino on the 78 and it looks great! Youu will find that in the better parts stores as well.