• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vinyl Dye

boeingpilot

Country flag
Anyone have experience with vinyl dye? I read an article years ago about a TR3 restoration in which the owner bought some interior panels on the cheap that were the wrong color, but was able to dye them black to match his interior.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SEM has various colors in an aerosol we've used with success. "Colorcoat" flexible coating. Made for vinyl, the prep is everything.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

This has come up on various previous posts but This is my "Very Pleasant" experience.

I`ve re-dyed a TR3, E-Type & Bugeye Interior using similar colors and also going from Black to Red on my Bugeye.

A friend of mine thought I bought a new Int. kit for my Bugeye and was shocked that I told him; I simply re-dyed it.

I purchase a "Brush On" dye from a Co. called "Color Plus" in NE PA. "Joanne" is the Owner. This is "NOT" just a cover up but actually penetrates the mat`l. You could`nt get if off with a Brillo Pad. Make sure you buy her "Camel Hair Brush" as it is super soft & the bristles don`t come out.

You can contact her directly @ (570)686-3158. Her website is: www.colorplus.com. She has all the std. colors and will also mix a special color if you send her a small 1" swatch.

Tell her "Russ" sent you from SC for all that may be worth.

Its not In-Expensive but It is the "Best" in the Industry.

Have Fun, Russ

Country flag
I've just dyed some vinyl interior panels- changing froma blue color that I didn't much like to black.

My car had black seats and the rest was covered in blue panels and it all just didn't look right. Along with blue bathroom carpet the whole interior looked pretty haphazard. Now, with a coherent color scheme it looks much better. I've yet to reinstall the black carpet and have the seat recovered but I'm much happier with its looks now.

Clean everything well.

I used dye that came in cans and could be sprayed or brushed on. I found spraying was most effective. Any problems were easily removed with Acetone. I tried brushing but wasn't as happy with the appearance.

It looks really good so far, after a week... I'll see how it holds up long term.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Russ,

Do you think that this would work on the plastic portions of a dash board to get rid of the sun fading?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As with about anything, Paul, you will likely need to get the pieces out and on a bench of some sort to get to all the edges and corners. With good prepwork either material will look good.

...and we're gonna want pix, y'know. :wink:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Doc,

Someone gave me a non dye idea to try something else as a long shot. More to follow later in the week.......pics will follow if it works. If not, back to the drawing board for the dyes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just tried and had some reasonable success on the TR8 dash with Armor All Tire Foam. I applied it heavy three times and used an old wash cloth to rub it in really well, keeping it wet and never really allowing it to dry. Now I'm letting it sit overnight to see how it looks after a few hours and I'll let you guys knoe who it worked.

That was the instructions from the guy who used it on his black plastic dash and his looks really good today. Apparently, this helps rejuvenate the dried/sun bleached out plastic, just like it does for the tires.

We shall see.......

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One word: SUNLIGHT!

:laugh:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you do have to go for the dye, make sure there was no silicon in the armour all (pretty sure there is) as I suspect it will keep dye from soaking in/ adhering

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, silicone will preclude any other dye or agent from soaking into the "parent" material. But it may also do the deed of visually 'renewing' the piece. If there are no cracks it can be a good answer.

toysrrus

Yoda
Brosky said:
Russ,

Do you think that this would work on the plastic portions of a dash board to get rid of the sun fading?

Hi Brosky,

"No"; I really don`t think so but I`ve never tried it so???

I feel if you go to "Joannes" website "www.colorplus.com"; You`ll be able to find the "Definitive" answer. If not; Give her a call. She`s a great, very helpful person.

Best Wishes,

Russ

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Russ,

I will be calling her to get some dye mixed to redo the panel behind the seats that gets faded on all of these TR8's. I just stopped at the upholstery shop this morning and had all new snaps installed on the top and on the boot cover. The plastic ones are a pain and these work much better.

I got a piece of the new trim that I ordered from Rimmer for the sun visors to be rebuilt with to have her mix the dye to match the seats.

Doc, you are right it is sun, but this rejuvenated the dash nicely, so I'm happy for now.

Attachments

• 22979.jpg
    22979.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 615
  • 22980.jpg
    22980.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 22981.jpg
    22981.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 608
  • 22982.jpg
    22982.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 610

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I meant to convey that sunlight will help the foam soak into the parent material better/more quickly. It looks really nice, BTW!

:thumbsup:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OH!!!! The second application will take place in the sun this weekend, if that's the case. And thank you. It was nice when I got it from Mickey, just a little light on the flats on top.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for the tip about Joanne. I just to her about what I want to do with the panel behind the seats and sent her a piece of trim to match the seats, doors and sun visors. She told me to prep with citrus based cleaner, rinse with clear water, let it dry well and sand with 600 paper before brushing on. I did also buy her brush, so hopefully, this will work as well as the pictures show.

If it does, I may even do the boot cover for when the top is folded down so that everything matches from the interior out.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Joanne was very nice and shipped my order promptly. Now I have to remove the rear panel and boot cover before I take it to storage so I can dye them over the winter.