• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ugliest car you ever knew?

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
They're not all ugly - but there's a lot of jet-age aviation influence in the cars of the late '40s and into the 50s and 60s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1950s+"car+design"+jets&num=20&newwindow=1&client=opera&hs=nw8&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgd-DxfnRAhVI_IMKHT-iBacQsAQIGw&biw=1309&bih=693

Remember the 1950 Studebaker -

View attachment 47063

my Dad loved his studebakers. 1st one was a used '51 , picked up in 53 or 54 ( noted in the album as "the" 2nd car, a new phenomenon for us)

image.jpeg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had a 50s bullet nose Studebaker when I was in Cuba for a couple years back in 58/59. Kinda ugly, but I liked it as it had a very comfortable ride. :encouragement: PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
my Dad loved his studebakers.

Same here, though whatever pictures we had are long gone... As I recall, though, we had a dark green bullet-nose Champion around 1952. Then the car I do remember well, a '53 Buick Century, two-tone green, most likely bought in '54. What a tank that was! But Dad often said he really liked the Studebakers.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My father came to Canada in '58 - drove an Anglia, which, when he sold it made it less than a block before the transmission failed - Had two Studebakers (Hawks) - then got married and traded the last one for a Beetle which he drove until the Falcon Wagon came along.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Those Studebaker Hawks were quite a forward-looking design. Upscale car I think. Prior to 1960 there were several "levels" of Hawk: Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, hardtop Sky Hawk, Silver Hawk, Golden Hawk. In 1960 the levels were dropped and it became the "Hawk". We could never afford them, so stuck with Ramblers.

Here's a '57 Silver Hawk:

View attachment 47078

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think my father's were Silver Hawks

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mom had a 1950 ford, black. Dad always had Lincolns. Took my first drivers' test in a '61 "suicide door" Continental. Talk about a BOAT! Several of the uncles drove Lincolns as well.

A couple years later I got my first MGB.

D

Deleted member 8987

We got my buddies Lincoln sold last fall for his widow. I had a chance (after 20+ years of assisting in the restoration) to drive it. You thought a 61 was a boat.....1941 Lincoln Continental Convertible with a V-12.
The bonnet had to be six feet long.
Turn the steering and wait for the bow to start coming around.View attachment 47087
I thought is was a container ship....and kept looking for the radar to navigate in close waters.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
They're not all ugly - but there's a lot of jet-age aviation influence in the cars of the late '40s and into the 50s and 60s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1950s+"car+design"+jets&num=20&newwindow=1&client=opera&hs=nw8&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgd-DxfnRAhVI_IMKHT-iBacQsAQIGw&biw=1309&bih=693

Remember the 1950 Studebaker -

View attachment 47063

Still featured in the cartoon strip "Pickles".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I guess it proves that ugly has value-----To some people!:highly_amused:

Or perhaps that love is blind?

I'm guessing, if most of us were to sit inside, start the engine, and start off in first gear, we would be wearing the proverbial "... eating grins". We would not care the slightest what the exterior looked like!! :welcoming:

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Or perhaps that love is blind?

I'm guessing, if most of us were to sit inside, start the engine, and start off in first gear, we would be wearing the proverbial "... eating grins". We would not care the slightest what the exterior looked like!! :welcoming:

I don't know.....
That thing looks like a cross between a lint Shaver & a stun-gun

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well you got at least one thing right for sure Paul. The new Lexus front end just looks like they ran out of parts before finishing it.

I was reading a magazine that had an article on the new Lexus LS.It said that the designers said
that"it took six months to perfect the design of the grille's matrix,which has 5032 facets".