• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ugliest car you ever knew?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Saw on American Pickers, a guy they went to see had a barn full of them and they weren't cheap either! I think their kinda neat, in an odd sort of way. :highly_amused: PJ

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There was a Messerschmitt that came thru here a couple years ago driving cross county with a bunch of Norwegians.

Clown car? How many were in the "car"?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The new Jeep something or other that has little "X"s on the taillights. Nissan Pulsar, whose only distinguishing characteristic were the diagonal taillights. Late 80s Toyota Camry Wagons, which looked like modernized Dodge Dart wagons from the 60s, which were also pretty darn ugly.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Clown car? How many were in the "car"?
:arms: Good one. Ok, to clarify there was one male Norwegian and one female Norwegian in the Messerschmitt, top down they cruise at 65-75mph. There were several other Norwegians who also shipped their cars, mostly large American 60's & 70's convertibles, to drive the Lincoln Highway which runs from Times Square to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. Probably 30 cars in all, kind of an expensive trip for them.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
There really were a lot of ugly cars, especially from Detroit, in those days.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
There really were a lot of ugly cars, especially from Detroit, in those days.

and earlier - thinking of pretty much every Kaiser (except the Darrin!) including to my eyes the Henry J

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The new Prius has to have the ugliest rear fascia ever.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I would say that you had to live back in the 40s/50s to appreciate the 60s/70s models. Designers and engineers were trying to bring the auto industry out of the dark ages, so to speak. About every conceivable idea you could think of was put into some of those cars. The big fins on the rear fenders, curved and bubble shaped glass all around, higher horse power engines, power this and power that, all to make driving a little more comfortable and enjoyable, which would increase sales, the bottom line. The looks of these new designs were excepted as they were new to a public that were out of the square car era. Regardless of what we think of them today, back then we thought they were pretty cool, for the most part and couldn't wait to see what the designers would come up with next. Now saying that, I think the modern Lexus is about to top the list for the ugliest front end of any car on the road today. It's all in the eye of the beholder. :encouragement: PJ

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The big fins on the rear fenders, curved and bubble shaped glass all around, higher horse power engines, power this and power that, all to make

excluding big fins & HP. The AMC Pacer fit your description pretty well.
Built for comfort, not for speed. & I think they sold pretty well for while.

image.jpeg

However, this French ad, sends me a mixed signal.....is she glancing over her shoulder in awe?
.....or is she just looking for the toilet paper?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Agree with Paul, above, on the aesthetic appeal during the 50's and 60's. It was what folks were looking for at the time. The "cool" factor.

What's cool now is technology; it's what drives the targeted folks, the ones with the money (well, credit at least!), and the desire for the latest gadget. Automakers are only too willing to deliver, as always. Form seems to be following function these days.

Not sure if many of us will be around to see the pendulum swing back the other way...

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Talking only of appearances (and not function or performance), the 1961 model year styling for most makes became much more reserved. The '61 Ford and Chevrolet, along with the '61 Cadillac I think were particularly attractive cars, but the Plymouth was another story...Think this viewpoint describes the car's appearance best:
"The model year 1960 closed on September 29, 1960, when the 1961 Plymouth models hit the showrooms. They were another styling disaster. The Plymouth had an oddly pinched in massive grille that was said to have inspired 10,000 movie horror creatures. The rear looked like someone had tried to put a bustle on, and hung two flashlights on the sides of the car."
And as far as the 1950's, if I ever find an affordable '57 two door Ford station wagon, I'm in.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well you got at least one thing right for sure Paul. The new Lexus front end just looks like they ran out of parts before finishing it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
They're not all ugly - but there's a lot of jet-age aviation influence in the cars of the late '40s and into the 50s and 60s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1950s+"car+design"+jets&num=20&newwindow=1&client=opera&hs=nw8&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgd-DxfnRAhVI_IMKHT-iBacQsAQIGw&biw=1309&bih=693

Remember the 1950 Studebaker -

View attachment 47063

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Nash Metropolitan. Always likened it to a bathtub on wheels.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
They're not all ugly - but there's a lot of jet-age aviation influence in the cars of the late '40s and into the 50s and 60s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1950s+"car+design"+jets&num=20&newwindow=1&client=opera&hs=nw8&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMgd-DxfnRAhVI_IMKHT-iBacQsAQIGw&biw=1309&bih=693

Remember the 1950 Studebaker -

View attachment 47063

Bullet nose. I think they're grand. Want one but Doug really hates them. Somehow I just think retro every time I see one.

D

Deleted member 8987

The K-Car, with it's transverse engine, as a platform for several models, saved Chrysler from the brink of extinction back in the day.
which should never have happened. they should have been left to die peacefully, and not live to have the gummint bail them out...then get bought by fiatsco.

D

Deleted member 8987

I've gotten into situations close to fistfights when someone asks if my car is a Dumb Cook. Errr...Stupid Baker.

Really...the rumour has been for over 60 years that when Ford wanted to come up with the first all-new postwar models (1949, to be exact on passenger cars), they let the competition out to other sources besides Ford.
The Ford crew lost the competition. The moonlighting Studebaker design engineers won, hence the single bullet on Ford and Stupid Bakers.View attachment 47075

I like these. Had this one 47+ years now. Drove it all week and weekend. No fins, No flashlight taillights. No pinched grille or bustle. Classic and timeless shoeboxes.