• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Triumph TR4 Oil Pressure

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I continue to "break in" my engine on my TR4, I continually worry about low oil pressure. Once warm my car has about 38-40 lbs. of pressure at about 2500 rpms. I hear that this is about right. Can someone explain to me why the TR4 engine has or needs less oil pressure than my TR6? At idle it has about 15 to 20 lbs.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Does seem kind of low to me, for a freshly rebuilt engine. What grade of oil are you using ? Have you checked the gauge for accuracy ? And how on earth can you read the difference between 38 psi and 40 psi on the stock gauge ?!

40 psi @ 2500 rpm won't necessarily harm anything; oil pressure is primarily an indicator of wear. Oil flow is what is important to the bearings and the pressure doesn't tell you much about flow. But I would expect a fresh engine to open the pressure relief valve (ie 70 psi) at 2500 rpm hot.

Have you tried cleaning the relief valve ?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Larry-

Yours does sound low, I run about 60 psi@2500 cruising speed when warm, and drop to about 35-40 at idle. I did have some erratic pressures, pretty 10-20 psi at idle, but I believe that was due to a misbehaving bypass valve. Might be worth seeing if your gauge is really giving reliable numbers even though it is rebuilt.

Randy.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've a TR3 but same engine, as you know, and the official service supplement manual with the later "full flow" oil cleaner (bypass) says one should get 70 psi @ 2000 rpm at 70 deg C. Now that's not really hot as that's 158 degrees.
On my 3 (how many miles?) if the engine is still at 158 I'm 70 psi. It will drop to 50/55 psi after lengthy driving when fully hot (20-30 miles of driving) but I suspect this is a viscosity issue more than anything (castrol 20-50).
For a 'fresh engine' that seems a bit low.
What do your start up numbers look like (mine 70 psi at 1100 rpm, 50 psi 500 rpm Idle)?

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My start up number are at least 70 psi at 1100 rpm, 50 psi 500 rpm Idle (like yours). These numbers stay high until my car has been running for about 20 minutes. Then they seem to quickly drop to the new levels and stay there.

I have a spin-on oil filter and adapter and have not yet checked the bi-pass valve.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Larry, your oil pressure does sound a little low for a newly rebuilt engine. On my well worn '63 (90,000 miles since last overhaul) I'm still getting 70 psig at normal operating temperatures and about 2000-2500 rpm. I'm using 20W-50 viscosity oil and still have the standard canister filter setup. This last summer I did have an incident with sudden low idle oil pressure after getting off I680 after a very long high speed run, and it turned out to be a small piece of debris in the oil pressure relief valve seat not allowing the valve to fully close. My normal hot idle oil pressure runs around 40 psig, but them my idle speed is around 850 to 900 rpm.
I did verify that my oil pressure gage is accurate by comparing it against a lab calibrated gage.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't recall where I read it now, but ISTR someone writing that they found their oil pump outer rotor to be cracked, which caused both low oil pressure and damage to the pump housing. If you don't find any other cause, it might be worth dropping the pan and inspecting the pump.

Bob_Burt

Freshman Member
Have you tried adjusting the pressure relief valve? When I got my '58 TR-3 2 years ago the oil pressure was running about 90 # warm. I think it's the original engine with about 90 K miles. I backed-off the valve a couple of turns and it now runs at 70 # on the highway.

Maybe your valve is set too low? Simple thing to check - just back off of the nut and turn the plug in a turn or two, then check the results.

Bob Burt

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Messing with the valve won't raise low oil pressure. It's preset to open at 70 lbs. at the factory and that's its only function.
Bob was correct to lower his so it opened at 70 lbs but that's all it will do.
You can't improve low pressure by 'tightening' things up as it were.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Bob_Burt said:
Have you tried adjusting the pressure relief valve? When I got my '58 TR-3 2 years ago the oil pressure was running about 90 # warm. I think it's the original engine with about 90 K miles. I backed-off the valve a couple of turns and it now runs at 70 # on the highway.

Too much oil pressure - now thre is a problem that I won't have to deal with....

vrod

SC guy, This past summer, I was talking to a guy who said he had to take his oil pump apart and check the clearances between the pump parts and file part of it down in order to obtain the right clearances. After he did this, he said he had great oil presure. You would have to hear from one of our other tr4 owners, to see if they have had to do this before. I am used to dealing more with the I6.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
SC,
You could always drop the pan and check tolerances, change out the big ends, redo the thrust bearings.
I'm going to do that just as maint.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
prb51 said:
Messing with the valve won't raise low oil pressure. It's preset to open at 70 lbs. at the factory and that's its only function.

But it is possible that the bypass is malfunctioning and only allowing 40 lbs of pressure before it opens.

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
prb51 said:
SC,
You could always drop the pan and check tolerances, change out the big ends, redo the thrust bearings.
I'm going to do that just as maint.

Sorry for my ignorance... What are "big ends" and "thrust bearings"? Are those the "Main Bearings" and "Thrust Washers"?

This would be new ground for me, so can anyone point me to a good write-up or get me started.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to try and put some miles on my car in the hopes of getting a better feel for what's going on.

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Darrell_Walker said:
prb51 said:

But it is possible that the bypass is malfunctioning and only allowing 40 lbs of pressure before it opens.
Except, I get higher readings until the engine fully warms up.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
SCguy said:
Sorry for my ignorance... What are "big ends" and "thrust bearings"?
"big ends" is British for connecting rod bearings. And on a TRactor motor, I wouldn't even bother checking the thrust bearings/washers ... they will be fine. It's only the TR6 motor (which inexplicably has much less thrust surface than the TR2-4 motor) where the thurst washers are an issue.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]This would be new ground for me, so can anyone point me to a good write-up or get me started.[/QUOTE]Try the Haynes manual, ISTR it had a brief desciption of changing the con rod bearings with the engine in the car. Plus a suggestion to do it as preventative maintenance every 30,000 miles or so (which IMO is a good idea).

To check the clearance, you disassemble the bearing and lay a piece of Plastigage across the face. Then reassemble, torque, and disassemble again. Compare the width of the crushed Plastigage to the bands on the wrapper to read the clearance. Plastigage should be available at any auto parts store. You'll probably want some of both .001-.003 for main bearings and .002-.006 for rods.

A quick Google turned up this article on using Plastigage (on a Ford V8, but similar to a TR)
https://www.fast351.com/cartech/enginerebuild/index4.htm

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I really like this topic and if you don't mind would like to ask some related questions-

If it is a worn bearing that is leading to the pressure issue Larry has, is there a likely culprit or are all bearings suspect? Just checking the big ends of the connecting rods in my mind doesn't necessarily solve the issue - is there a good way at all to diagnose where the pressure loss may be occurring other than tearing down completely? Also, how do you know it is not some other area such as top end lubrication that is the source of the problem?

For me, getting under the car and dropping the pan is okay for the pump and maybe the connect rods, but for messing with the crank mains I'm not sure I'd want to do it under the car.

Randy