• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 or MGB?

fmj355

Freshman Member
I recently started a restoration on a decent 72 MGB that I was able to buy very cheaply. As I start the work, I find myself wishing it was a TR6, which I much prefer the look of. I am considering selling the MGB to someone who loves them more than me and finding a TR6 to devote all of this energy to. I don't want to start a "which one is better" battle, but I am hoping to get some feedback which can help me decide. I know I will never get a TR6 for anywhere near the $$ I got the MGB for, and for me, doing the actual resto work is very important. I would never even consider buying an already finished car. This is not my first resto, but it is my first LBC. Advice and opinions invited.
Don

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Don, and welcome to the Forum.

Your dilemma is like many of ours, and my take would be that if you're going to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in something, you should end up with a car that you want to enjoy, at least for a while.

The MGB and the TR6 are very different animals, both in looks and in spirit, and there are plenty of each out there in need of restoring. Sounds like you're hooked on TR's, so go for it!

Mickey

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Don: I sold a much loved 69 MGB when my current TR250 came up for sale locally. I do not regret it in the least! My advice would be to search the Autotrader and similar for a project car from the southwest US. My old B' came from Phoenix, AZ and was as rust free as any unrestored LBC I have ever seen. My current car came from Texas and is almost as good. If possible travel to see the car.
I personally hate bodywork, so I avoid rust buckets. Rust is the LBC worst enemy, and will attack the thin guage TR frame. I would much prefer a non-running, clapped out car with faded paint, interior in tatters and minimal rust to the pretty paint job, rot-box-underneath runner.
I would also recommend that you buy some reading material such as Roger Williams "How to Restore TR250, TR6" (see: https://www.zeni.net/trf/britishws2/5.php). Get all the three major catalogs (Moss, Roadster Factory, Victoria) and study them. Ditto for the Haynes Manual. Attend some local LBC shows and talk to TR owners who are usually all too happy to talk your ear off about their ride ( I know I could!).
Good luck and happy hunting.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Don;

Both are great cars in my opinion.

In terms of a place to look for one check out Drake Motors they are located in Kelowna. People on a B bbs I frequent have good thing to say about him.

Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

OP
F

fmj355

Freshman Member
This choice for me is like blondes or brunettes. Of course I want one, but I prefer the brunettes for some reason and I have a blonde right now.
Mark, I have been up to see Len several times, and he has a couple of good TR6s (plus tons of other interesting cars)that he sourced from rust free states(I agree with you Andy about avoiding rust much more important than condition of other bits). The dilemma for me right now is I feel like I am cheating on the blonde. But I am inclined to agree with Mickey. Hmmmm.
Don

G

Nothing worse than walking out to the garage, opening the door, and thinking, this is not what I wanted.

If a TR6 is what you have your heart set on then get one, no question about it in my mind. Life is to short to diddle about with a car that you are not completely enthusiastic over. Plus the restoration process will be far more enjoyable if it's being done on a car your are crazy about.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
Don,

I have both. I have a '74 6 and a '69 B. I've also owned a '78 B in the last year (sold it), so I could literally get out of one car and into the other to compare. I love both cars for different reasons. My '69 B is undergoing a restoration right now so it's not on the road. My 6 is a great looking driver and it gets driven three or four times a month. They are very different cars. For what it's worth, here's my honest opinion about each of the cars and their differences:

The 6 is a more attractive car appearance-wise, but the B is not bad either. The 6 rides rougher and rattles and squeaks. This may be due to frame vs. unibody construction. The B feels more solid...like driving a Honda car compared to the 6. The 6 is much more cramped in the interior and generally not as comfortable. The 6 feels like you're driving a bigger car, though, and is not as nimble as the B unless you do some suspension work (which I have done). The 6 will win hands down in a drag race over the B...especially a later rubber B. B's are plentiful and 6's are getting quite rare. Parts are much more expensive for the 6 than the B and there are more folks selling B parts, so you can shop around a bit more. Spares are easy to find for the B. Both cars have their share of problems. Rust will render a unibody B useless, while frame rot on a 6 is usually repairable. The B has a bulletproof drivetrain while the 6 is a little iffy with lots of folks citing clutch issues, half shaft bind, hub problems and the diff mounts tend to come loose from the frame. The 2500 in the 6 is a joy to listen to as you're driving. The B doesn't come close. B's have tendencies to crack heads, manifolds and burn head gaskets due to the siamese port of # 2 and 3 cylinders. The steering on the B is effortless compared to the 6. That big 2500 sitting on the front tires can make parking difficult, especially for females. If your wife/girlfriend will be spending any time in the car, the B is the better pick. The 6 just seems to be more of a man's car. I say don't pick. Buy one of each and be your own judge. I think they're both great cars and I wouldn't want to be without either one.

OP
F

fmj355

Freshman Member
ROADSTR6,
That is a great response, exactly what I was sure I would find here, someone with both cars and direct comparisons. The logic also is impeccable, why not have both? In this case, I can have both the blonde and the brunette and not worry about somebody setting fire to me while I am asleep.
My wife will understand, won't she?
Don

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
My wife will understand, won't she?
Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course she will...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif Mickey

By the way, I've got a TR3 and an MGB. Getting ready to pick up a TR8 I've just acquired.

My wife understands... my wife understands... my wife understands...

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
I have a B and a Spitfire. Very different cars but I love driving both for different reasons and won't part with either.

If you longing for a 6 then get one. You can always get a B later.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got to agree with Mickey. If you're going to be putting a lot of effort into the restore, do it on a car you really want, and can be passionate about. For much this reason, I'm not sure how long I'll be a TR4 owner. I really like my car, and am enjoying learning to do the work on it, but I'm not really sure it's the full passion vehicle. Don't really know what is, but that's another story for another thread.

A (very loose) paraphrase from a Peter Egan story: "If [your MGB] were stolen tomorrow and you got market value for it from your insurance, would you buy another? If not, it's time to sell and move on." Just a thought...

-Drew

OP
F

fmj355

Freshman Member
Thanks a lot guys. The input from all was great and was just topped off by that great quote that Drew put in. I would buy something else. I will work away at the MGB as a good learning experience, while keeping it relatively saleable and watch for the perfect replacement.
Don

G

Don, you should look for a "clapped out" TR6 with no rust or frame rot, period. EVERYTHING else is secondary. You should be able to purchase your dream car for about $5,000.
Engine, electrical, braking, trim - all cheap compared to extensive body work. Good luck.

Bill

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... TR6 with no rust or frame rot,

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an oxymoron, isn't it??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Another (also very loose) paraphrase of a Peter Egan story: "You pick your date up in [an MG] and you're saying 'I like you, I'll take care of you'. Pick her up in a TR and the message is 'Let's see what you're made of'".

"A 'clapped out' TR6 with no rust or frame rot" sounds like a typical Arizona car.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
I interviewed a mechanic you used to work at a Triumph/MG dealer back in the early 70s.

"The MG people were the pretty guys with the cute blond in the passenger seat. The Triumph guys were much more your ratty old jeans type with a crusty toolbox in the trunk....the Triumph guys pushed the cars more..."

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Roadstr6 summed it pretty well. The TR is more of a rattle trap, but the wonderful power, the beautiful wood dash layout and the shape of the front fenders and bonnet (especially on a TR250) can't be matched by the B, at least in stock form.
Other minor differences: The TR has a much better heating/ventilation system and you can get at the battery easier!
I like the stalk mounted wiper on the later Bs, as opposed to the dash switch on the TR, but thats about it. I prefer the taller windscreen of the TR. Now my hat doesn't blow off anymore.

OP
F

fmj355

Freshman Member
Bill mentioned $5000 as a reasonable price for a good base car-TR6. Does that sound about right these days? Best years? Things beside rust to avoid?

I must admit that one of the things I remember most from my youth about seeing these LB cars and falling in love with them was the sound. I was at a Vintage Car Race in Calgary not long ago and there was a 6 cyl E-Type racer that had, in my humble opinion, the most perfect automobile noise in the world as it accelerated down the front straight.
Don