• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Hard Top

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I am interested in how well the TR6 removable hard top seals out rain/water. I am considering using my TR6 for a daily driver in Louisiana where the frequent and heavy rain coupled with a high level of humidity and NO GARAGE will require something more than the convertible top offers. The soft top never leaked; the water just comes in around the window tops and trailing edge of the windows. I was content in leaving the car in storage in Atlanta but TR6BILL's postings has caused me to want to enjoy the thrill of driving the thing again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

D

DougF

Everything that I have ever heard about the hardtops is that they make a Triumph something they aren't, weather tight.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I have a factory hardtop. They not only weather proof the car, they also make the car more rigid, and quieter. You will think you are in a different car. The only problem is how to dry the interior of the water you track in.

R6MGS

Yoda
My B's have factory hardtops and I love them....I *might* be receiving a TR6 hardtop in a pile of parts I just bought...If I do I'll have no use for it(yet) so it'll will be for sale.

R6MGS

Yoda
Think I must have missed your email....Send me a PM(I check the BCF more often than my own email) and I'll let you know if I get it....It's sitting on a parts car in a tow yard and the yard owner isn't all that pleasant to deal with.....He basically just wants it gone, so I went to get it earlier in the week, at a time we agreed upon and he wasn't there.....So now I am suppose to meet him Monday or Tuesday.
Are these hardtops fiberglass or metal?

swift6

Yoda
Both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Factory Hardtops are steel, aftermarkets are fiberglass.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Just picked up a factory hardtop today. It's red though, and my car is yellow, so it will have to be painted or I'd look like an ad for McDonald's. Really looking forward to getting it fitted.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a fiberglass one I've been thinking about selling..

Whats the going rate? Are the aftermarket ones popular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently not. I had mine on Ebay for over 2 weeks. only one bid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif To the attic it goes until next spring!

As the market for the factory versions increase, so will the aftermarket products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

Don,
The factory hardtop is the way to go. They will increase the value of your car by about $1500, about what your will have to pay for a decent one. The aftermarket fiberglass units work
(Smoothline?) but add nothing to the car's value, and in some ways might even detract from the total value. They just ain't the same. Call David Hayden over in Erath (337-937-4929) and tell him that Bill Karam sent you. David has a nose for finding things. (I know for a fact that he has a surrey top sitting around...don't ya'll call him, it is not for sale)

Bill

rporter

Freshman Member
Country flag
My factory hardtop does not seal well using only the rubber seal between the top and the windscreen. Leaks between into the brakets holding the sunvisors. If I had it to do again I would put some type of mastic or sealer between the rubber and the top. It is bolted tight. Otherwise I agree with everyting noted above. FYI I made my own headliner and it is much better than the part from Roadster Factory. Also the only place I found for a factory rear window rubber was in London. Better quality than the new side window rubbers which have shown rot within 6 months.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
Probably fair to say factory hardtops will continue to increase in value over time.
But...just like TR6's, they are relatively abundant today.
IMHO I can't imagine a hardtop on my car.

ONLY reason it's on the market is the PO included it in the sale. Oddly enough, I've NEVER seen a TR6 with a hard top on in New Mexico (of course I don't get out much...)
I can't imagine a aftermarket HT having a negative value to a TR - provided you have the convertible top also. Not being worth AS MUCH as the factory version makes sense.

I'm taking the old folding top and making a half-top frame mounted off the rollbar. Basically no back window or back-sides. Sun-shade only for the baking SW sun.

Let the engineering begin!

Enjoy the autumn colors!
jeff3113

alwaysride

Yes, the best way to stay cool is to keep the top up, windows down and back window zipped out.

I just picked up a factory hardtop for my daily driver. I've always loved they way the TR6s look with the hardtop.

The top needs work and various seals and bits, but I'm psyched to get working on it.

rporter, can you say more abot how you made your own headliner?