• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A sway bar , any vendor differences

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Victoria British catalog offers front sway bar without any qualifications, footnotes, etc, about any adaptation pieces. Their order dept. could not answer. Moss mentions Tr 6 type radiator protection in their sway bar installation. What am I missing? Are these apples and oranges?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Robert
66' TR4a Irs

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hi Robert,

I installed a TR6 bar on my TR4A. I just put the ends through the hold-down holes, and used existing holes in the stock 4A piece across the front of the frame, using all of the stock TR6 hardware.

-Darrell

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm guessing they aren't the same units. VB is probably offering an ADDCO bar, while Moss is offering a reproduction of the factory bar. I would further guess that the VB product requires modifications as well, they just aren't very good about mentioning things like that.

Curiously enough, ADDCO lists a smaller front bar for the TR4A (3/4" instead of 7/8").

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I put a TR 6 Front bar on my 4A. You need to change the Radiator guard from a TR4A type to the TR6 guard and all will just bolt up using all of the TR6 hardware. The radiator guards are interchangeable. I was not able to do what Darrel suggested

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don't know why it worked for me, perhaps the front piece isn't stock on my car. Here is a quick picture of how it looks.

Attachments

• 26844.jpg
    26844.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 264
OP
R

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Darrell,
My Tr4a radiator shield looks similar to your picture. Mine also has two vertical sets of 3/8 holes at either end of the shield. Can you confirm if the bottom front lower corner of the shield is also about 10-1/2 in. from the frame cross member behind it; it is roughly at the same low elevation. Thanks.

Robert
Tr4a irs
CTC 55788L

PeterK

Yoda
Addco 7/8" TR6 bar installed on my 4A. I had to drill for the mounting inside the TR6 mount on the radiator guard because the original holes (for the original TR6 bar) were off.

Attachments

• 26845.jpg
    26845.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 226
OP
R

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
I would appreciate your wisdom with swaybars.

I am installing an Addco swaybar, and it occurred to me that ideally the relationship between bar and link assembly should also consider extending life of the rubber bushings....Addco instructions do not say much.

From PeterK's swaybar picture it looks like the bar is not perpendicular to the link ( maybe 110 degrees from the vertical ), if the picture shows car sitting on its wheels!. This 110 degrees probably tends to compress rubber bushings. Does anyone know if this is typical of most swaybar installations, or does one do what one can with the asymetrical nature of each car ?

I ask because my intuition tells me the life of the bushings could be extended if the bar were perpendicular to the link! Is this significant to consider?

A second question: my links clear the lower part of the wishbone by 1/8 in. I assume this is ok as the wishbone movement is only in the vertical direction. Is this clearance too close?

Thanks for your ideas.

Robert
66' TR4a irs
CTC 53788L