• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 TR4A Hardtop

DanMathisen

Freshman Member
In the late 1970's, my brother bought a TR4A. Sometime in the mid-1980's, the car was totaled and went to British car heaven. However, the hardtop survived and still hangs in my father's garage, untouched 35+ years. My father would like to reclaim that corner of the garage for other uses some decade soon.

We took it down and unwrapped it last month (Sept'12). It is in surprisingly good shape, however the rubber gasket is hardened and cracked in places. There are almost no other blemishes. We took several pictures of it, then rewrapped it and hung it back up in the garage.

Without the matching vehicle, my family is interested in understanding the best and proper way to get this into the hands of someone that could use it. We do not want to dump it anywhere as we suspect it might have some value, either monetary or restorative, to a Triumph owner. I have read about hardtops that are "replacement" or non-originals, but I have no way of telling how I can distinguish whether it is original or genuine to the car. There were no obvious markings that indicated a manufacturer to me.

Thus, we have several questions for the experts here:
1 - How do we find someone that can make best use for this hardtop?
2 - Is it reasonable that we just post it on E-Bay motors at no reserve and see what happens? If not, are there other/better venues for matching this to someone?
3 - If we find someone, presuming that same person is not in Omaha NE, how do we best get this to them at a reasonable cost?
4 - How do we tell who made this hardtop and whether it is original/genuine to the car?
5 - I understand the value of the hardtop is whatever the market will pay for it, but how would we estimate whether it is a fair or good trade if we do find a place to sell it?

This is my first post here, so really eager to see how it goes. Please know I appreciate any help or advice offered here.

richie

The TR4 came with what's called a surrey top with both the hard top and soft top configuration. Googling surrey top should help answer lots of your questions!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Posting the pictures here or a link to them would help. If the top is fibreglass then it could be a Parrish Platics aftermarket hardtop versus the factory hardtop which consisted of an aluminum rearframe with glass window and either aluminum or steel removable top section.

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
As noted, as far as I know there was no 'factory' hardtop for the 4/4Az and since what you have is hanging in the garage it seems unlikely to be the very desirable Surrey.

I have seen a pretty nice (curvy) TR4 hardtop from the period -- that sort would be worth something to someone. I have also seen a less attractive version that would have a hard time finding a new home.

I you can post a photo or two of what you have it will help a lot in answering your question.

OP
D

DanMathisen

Freshman Member
Good tips so far - THANK YOU!

Googled "TR4A Surrey Top" brought up quite a few pics, and it is definitely NOT a surrey top. One such site had this pic: https://bringatrailer.com/2011/06/10/1967-triumph-tr4-surrey-top-project/

I do see on the Wikipedia entry for Triumph TR4 that someone stated, "The entire hard top assembly is often mistakenly referred to as a "Surrey Top". In original factory parts catalogues the rigid top and backlight assembly is listed as the "Hard Top" kit." I think this forum most likely has more expertise, but how do I discount the existence of this "kit"?

The top has aluminum "edging" (maybe wrong word?) and a flat glass rear window. I don't think it is steel, but could be either aluminum or fiberglass as it is very light in weight.

The pictures I have are over 1mb each, so will have to figure out how to get them up here somehow.

Country flag
I would guess Snugtop as manufacturer, its not Parrish for sure. I have a Parrish. Most aftermarkets in decent shape bring around $300.

Marv

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Yes, I agree with Marv as I also have a TR4/4A Parrish Plastics which kind of resembles the Surrey top except one-piece.

Here's a picture of it on the Smoothline website.

Triumph-TR4-02.jpg

Scott