• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A windshield glass

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So as to not take over the other similar forum entries, I have started a new one. As I stated on the thread called TR3B windshield, I received TR3 windshield glass from Victoria British that has a bad lower passenger side corner. I have attached a picture of that bad corner. The question and request that I have is for someone to post a picture of what the lower corners should look like on an ideal (original) windshield glass. Should they be rounded or more square? Thanks!!
Regards,
Bob
IMG_4950.jpg

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The corner looks a little rounded but you don't say what the size is. So I'd try the glass in the windscreen frame and if the glass is a little oversize, the corner may become fully hidden in the lower corner of the frame parts once the parts are assembled. You don't need to use the rubber sealing strip to determine this. Just lay it into place and see if the area that you think is missing would cause a problem - such as rain coming in. If there is still a tiny gap right there, you could use the glass and seal that corner bit with clear silicone bathtub sealer after its all assembled.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Heading for NY party so can post pic now(maybe not later either, it will be my first).But the VB glasss that I got 2 weeks ago is not like yours and looks the same as my original.
Happy new year
Tom
So as to not take over the other similar forum entries, I have started a new one. As I stated on the thread called TR3B windshield, I received TR3 windshield glass from Victoria British that has a bad lower passenger side corner. I have attached a picture of that bad corner. The question and request that I have is for someone to post a picture of what the lower corners should look like on an ideal (original) windshield glass. Should they be rounded or more square? Thanks!!
Regards,
Bob
View attachment 25082

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Don and Tom! Tom, I sure would appreciate it if you could post a picture to show me what your windshield looks like on the lower corners since yours from VB matches your original.
Regards,
Bob

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The last and only part I ordered from VB was the windshield glass. They had a great sale and shipping was cheap. The corners looked like yours Bob and did not fill the corners. There was about an 1/8 inch opening on both sides. I injected silicone into the corners in stages to allow for shrinkage. Also the glass had a vertical curve to it unlike the original glass that was flat, and was not as thick.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Keith! That doesn't sound promising for the windshield I got from VB. I just looked at mine and it also has a slight vertical curve. Since I don't have the old glass I have nothing to compare with. I have sent a picture of the lower corner to Customer Care at VB so I'll see what they say.
Regards,
Bob

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Bob,I looked at the glasses today and took some comparative pics but am having problems getting from photobucket to forum.May be my computer as it keeps locking up in pbucket.
i also sent a PM to Shawn from Moss and after no reply looked in my sent items and didnt see it so again maybe my compute,or operator.
Anyway,while I said the VB corners looked like original,after laying the vb on top of the old there is a definite differance.The VB corners are shorter and will not fill the lower ccorner of frame like original,and may leave a slight hole,even though the profile is more pointed than yours.
I am leaning more towards the urethane route now after closer exam.
Also the old glass has about a 1/2 to 5/8 gap at center with straight edge across,the new is about 7/8 gap,so more curved but does fit in the frame.
Will try again later,hope this helps
Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
There should be a curve from side to side, but a vertical curve may mean that your soft top, once erected, will be looser than with a flat vertical glass windscreen.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Also the chromed frame for the glass in secured by 3 screws on each stanchion (all in a straight line). Will a vertical curve in the glass prevent this final assambly ?

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the info Tom. I dry fitted my VB glass and the lower corners are definitely not made correctly, since they don't fill the corners. I have not checked the curvature and since I don't have the original glass, I can't tell what is correct. Per Keith's info, I will dry fit the VB glass again and see it the vertical curvature causes a problem with the final assembly.
Regards,
Bob

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The curve in the glass flattens out on the edges, but there is still is an 1/16" curve to it on the edges. In the center with a staight edge you will see a 1/2" gap in the middle of the of the staight edge. In the top corners you can see that the fit is tighter in the frame on the back side. I ran a bead of black seam sealer all along the edges of the frame to fill any gap. After cleaning off the excess of you can't tell that it's there. Recently I found a roll of tape and was told it was baseball bat grip tape. When I do another windshield I will try it. It looks just like the friction type tape that came off the original windshield.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
https://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/tomburke3/chrismas2012026_zps2b643423.jpg
Picss of new VB overlayed on original.I agree with everything Kieth said.I have the glass in the assembled frame without rubber strip.The back of top corners ,front side centers and front top center are touching the frame,and it looks I can position galss to have no Hole in lower corner.
I am abandoning the rubber strip and going to FLAPS to find some sealer.I thought of phenoseal,or urethane.I have read of butyl caulk but I think it remains to soft,and I have seen enough boat windshield leak repairs to know silicone doesnt do well in prolonged sun.Hope the link works
Tom

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tom, thanks for the picture showing the VB glass overlaying the original TR3 glass. That's an excellent comparison.
Regards,
Bob