• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A before and after front-end work

PeterK

Yoda
The car was originally Pearl White and so was the frame. Then signal red with lots of overspray on the front of the frame:
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/suspension1.jpg

So I stripped the front of the frame to bare metal with Eastwood stripper. Paint just fell of - easy job:
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/suspension2.jpg

After glass beading, paint and powdercoating and lots of work, it looks like this:
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/suspension3.jpg
I used Eastwood Extreme chassis paint on the frame, nice product. The yellow and green marks on the lower wishbones were under all the dried goop so I replicated them on the newly restored arms. It actually helped me keep them straight as I reamed the trunnion bushings.

And the electric pusher fan mounts on the radiator supports:
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/electricfanmount.jpg

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Peter,
That really looks fine, nothing like a clean under carriage.
Really nicely done.
The PO of my car did a really fine job some years ago (needs detailing now and I'm going to rebuild the front end again) but when I pulled the apron off yesterday everything was properly painted and cared for the first time around and not a speck of rust, he really did a fine home frame off.
I was lucky to get this gentlemans car as he did quality work...I also have all of his resto photo's and receipts. The receipts alone back up the saying about buying as much of a restored car as you can afford. I believe he passed away and I got the car from a 3rd party.
I'm amazed as I'm normally use to the opposite kind of surprise.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
That looks beautiful as a finished job!
In the second picture, though, there is some rather messy-looking welding in the corner of the frame, did you do anything to fix that before you finished things off?
(Not meaning to be critical, but I would imagine this is important to the strength and integrity of the chassis.)

T

Tinster

PeterK- What a beautiful project completion!

Congrats.

Probably a stupid question.

What is "glass beading?"
What did you do with it?

I will soon be attacking my own front suspension.
I can powder coat here at home.

Will I need glass beading as well? I should probably
check Eastwood and see if they sell it?

thanks,

dale

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Good on you, PeterK!

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Simon TR4a said:
That looks beautiful as a finished job!
In the second picture, though, there is some rather messy-looking welding in the corner of the frame, did you do anything to fix that before you finished things off?
(Not meaning to be critical, but I would imagine this is important to the strength and integrity of the chassis.)

Hello Simon,

That messy welding is what you call "hand-built." All the front end welding is less than perfect but AFAIK it's all factory stuff. Good weld penetration as you can see by the blue color around the welds but not a modern mig-type clean looking weld anywhere to be found.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Hi Dale,

Soon you'll have to build a nice big shop to house all the tools you'll want to own.

Glass bead is a fine grit (usually 70-80 but available in 100 grit) abrasive media used in blast cabinet. It's made from crushed glass. Basically, it's sand blasting in a box to contain the mess using various type of abrasive media.

I use crushed walnut shells on things like gears and softer metals to avoid removing material during the blasting process. I use glass bead on aluminum to leave a nice smooth satin finish and also cast pieces (like suspension) before painting or powder coating. I use Aluminum Oxide or Black Beauty (a by product made from slag) for fast cutting of heavy rust when machine tolerances are not critical, since it can remove the top layer of the metal you are cleaning along with the rust.

Lots of fun. I use my cabinet for numerous things several times a week, not just for TR restoration.

A good all-aroung home use cabinet is the 780-TL from https://www.tptools.com. It's the one I use and is big enough for most jobs. Made in the USA and the blasting gun is very good. Highly recommended.