• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Title for a tub?

Hot Wings

I ran across a bare BE tub but there is no title available, just a bill of sale. It's rough but acceptable for a street rod type build. Since my desire is to have a daily driver I'd rather build this tub and use a composite hood/doors than modify my existing Sprites.

What are my options to get a title? I don't care if it is a title with a 50's/60's model (desirable) year or a 2014 model year as there are no vehicle inspections in Wyoming and smog compliance is not a factor for us. I don't care about resale value since I plan to drive this till I can't get into it anymore.

Is a bill of sale and a Heritage certificate going to be enough to get a title?
==========
Leon

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
From a quick search looks like titles in Wyoming are handled by the county clerk's office. I'd call them and see what the requirements are. Straighten out the paper work first, then start spending time and money on the build. Seen a lot of guys get deep into projects they either can't put on the road or have to spend a bundle to secure a title.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll second Rick's comments -- talk to your local folks, they'll be able to tell you. And certainly get it all sorted before diving in, now it's just a mild annoyance -- hours and $$$ later it's much worse.

OP
Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Straighten out the paper work first, then start spending time and money on the build.

That's my thought as well, but from the internet research I've done it appears that a lot of states won't look at the vehicle until it's road worthy, and even insured in some. Here in Wyoming there isn't any real problem getting a scratch built car titled and registered (depending on who is at the title department that day) but I've never tried for a vehicle that still has a VIN# attached.

I sure don't want to get 5 figures of time and money invested in a driveway decoration. I also hate to "defile" an other wise restore-able Sprite if there is a chance to recycle an otherwise unusable tub for my wants.

Last edited:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't know the rules in your state, but in California, as well as many other states, if the title is lost, a new title can be obtained with a bill of sale only, but always requires a VIN verification. I usually take along a BMIHT certificate to add credibility as to the legitimacy of the car and VIN number, especially since the chassis tags are affixed with screws rather than rivets. This means taking the car to the DMV, in your case, on a trailer. It is possible here to have either CHP or peace officers do the verification, so you might look into that too. In fact, in CA now, even if you have a title, if the vehicle is "off the books", a VIN verification is still required. I'm just going through the same thing with a '37 Chevy I recently purchased.

Last edited:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does the tub have the body number tag? Body Number - Begins BAE... which is stamped on a plate secured to the right-hand front door pillar. The Heritage Certificate can be obtained with just the body #. Should be easy after that. Scott in CA

OP
Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Does the tub have the body number tag?

It does have numbers attached. If those of you in California can get this done out here in third world USA where it's legal to drive Quads on the street I should be able to get a title. I've just never tired for a vehicle that still has a number.

Now if it would just warm up so I can get out in the yard to see if a T5 trans will fit and still leave the heater intact I'll be ready to start gathering parts. A heater is a must have for this project.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is this the '58 shell in Denver? I would have snapped it up already if I still lived there (I moved to Dallas earlier this year). If it is the same car, it looks like a pretty good base for a project, although it literally needs one of everything to make it whole again.

G

There ya go, stuff a quad under it and you're good! :thumbsup:

OP
Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Is this the '58 shell in Denver? I would have snapped it up already if I still lived there (I moved to Dallas earlier this year). If it is the same car, it looks like a pretty good base for a project, although it literally needs one of everything to make it whole again.

It may be same shell - green originally? The asking price seems kind of high but then by the time you figure in transportation to the middle of nowhere I can't be too picky.

Even though it's been cold here I couldn't resist trudging out in the yard and knocking the snow off my 2 long neglected projects for a look. They are in better shape than I remember despite setting outside in one spot for over 15 years. For what I want, a daily driver that includes snow days with salt, I have some reservations about using one of these as a starting point. A later model Spridget that I could graft a carbon fiber bugeye boot onto might be a better option.