• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Things That You Find Funny

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Saw this on the side of a business in Boones Mill,VA,
a well-known speed trap.
The town has a population of 170,& three police officers.
They used to have Camaros,& even a newer GTO as police vehicles.
001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:lol:

sooo true! When I tell some 'younger' folk we've adopted the three cats and named them Lucy, Fred and Ethel, we get blank stares. The "seasoned" ones break out in laughter.
We named our two rescue dogs George and Gracie.
Neither of us cared who got the joke.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We have a used car dealership named "Spanky's Real Swell Cars", been there for years on a very busy street. SWIMBO and I always get a chuckle when we drive by. Last time he even had people looking at cars.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There's a little town here in Oklahoma, that the road going into town is 55 mph to the traffic light, on the other side of the light it's 25 mph! The sign is a hundred feet downhill from the light, the cop sets just on the other side of the sign. Guess how I know that! :rolleyes2:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back when I was in the Navy, once we got out past the 2-mile limit they were $1.00 a carton/ 10 cents a pack! 25 cents a pack onshore. When I got discharged I went to a pipe and a couple of years later I quit all of it! (y) :thumbsup2:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Back when I was in the Navy, once we got out past the 2-mile limit they were $1.00 a carton/ 10 cents a pack! 25 cents a pack onshore. When I got discharged I went to a pipe and a couple of years later I quit all of it! (y) :thumbsup2:
I quit 31 years ago. I had tried unsuccessfully several times before but it was developing a case of Strep Throat that finally allowed me to kick it for good.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My dad smoked a pipe as for long as I can remember and I probably would have if it wasn't for my job in the service, I was in charge of all the oxygen equipment, including the storage of liquid oxygen, so naturally carrying anything that even represented smoking was prohibited, if you don't have it you can't use it! Cigarettes had to be kept in the locker room and only used when the smoking lamp was lit! Boy that was a long time ago! :rolleyes2:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I was in control of the Headquarters budget for our troops. Smoked three packs a day, cigar now and then, coffee by the gallon. Pretty scary as Marines throw you in prison for mistakes. Threw everything out the window of my 57 on the mountain roads on the way home Dec 10, 1971. Free and clear ever since.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I finally quit 40 years ago when the heart surgeon said "Let's just not waste my time and your money if you're gonna keep smoking." Finally got my attention after I can't guess how many failed attempts to quit.

Country flag
Good to hear you guys are quitters, when it comes to smoking. My maternal grandfather was a 3-4 pack a day guy and literally dropped dead from a massive heart attack when I was about 4. And my oldest friend's dad trailed around an oxygen tank for the last 20 years of his life due to heavy smoking. Glad that was something that never really interested me in starting.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Good to hear you guys are quitters, when it comes to smoking. My maternal grandfather was a 3-4 pack a day guy and literally dropped dead from a massive heart attack when I was about 4. And my oldest friend's dad trailed around an oxygen tank for the last 20 years of his life due to heavy smoking. Glad that was something that never really interested me in starting.
My wife was lucky enough to have never started. For me, I grew up in a household with both parents smoking (and I remember mom collecting “Raleigh Coupons.”). Dad died of massive heart attack when he was just 59. We were just a couple days away from making a trip from Hill AFB, UT to Denver so mom and dad could meet our new son, Ryan, whom he’d not yet met. I got the call from mom when I had just come home from work for lunch. We ended up making that drive to Denver to attend a funeral.

Mom made it to 70 but had suffered a number of strokes and severe emphysema in her later years.

Quitting was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but man am I glad I finally did.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Quitting was easy Boss. I did it at least a dozen times. Seriously though, when I finally succeeded I was amazed that I never had that urge again. Maybe 10 days in ICU helped clean me out or maybe the surgeon's statement worked some psychology magic. When I went back to work, I was afraid to go have drinks with the guys though for a few weeks, afraid the temptation might be too much. Funny, even a couple of years later I did catch myself reaching for that shirt pocket so there was something left over.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My uncle had a lung removed in his early 30s. I still picture him in the hospital smoking, late 50s to early 60s. Then they told him they would have to remove part of his other lung, smoked until he died. Not really funny but odd that cigarettes were that important. My wife's aunt did the same thing with lung cancer.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Quitting was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but man am I glad I finally did.

Must agree. I'd quit just ahead of my 40th birthday, made it four years before starting again. Now finding it harder than the first time to completely quit.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Like many, I tried smoking as a kid (13, 14 maybe), but asthma kept me from "enjoying" and never truly started. Never was so happy to have had asthma!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Like many, I tried smoking as a kid (13, 14 maybe), but asthma kept me from "enjoying" and never truly started. Never was so happy to have had asthma!
I doubt I could have quit had I not been blessed with Strep Throat. For that week, while home from work, I desperately wanted to smoke, and tried to, but when I'd inhale it felt like someone shooting a flame-thrower down my throat. I simply could not suck the smoke into my lungs without searing pain. This pretty much forced me to not smoke for a good week. Once I started to recover and went back to work, I didn't say I was quitting, I just told SWMBO that I was just going to see if I could go one day at work without a smoke. It was hard, but I did it. Then, I said I was going to try another day, and so forth until, before I knew it I had gone another full week without smoking. At that point I started thinking I might actually be able to kick this habit once and for all. It took a long time to get it completely out of my system, and I remember going to bed one night and it occurring to me that I had not thought of a cigarette once that day!

With cigarettes being as expensive as they are these days, I'm sure I've saved many thousands of dollars over the past 30+ years.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Once I started to recover and went back to work, I didn't say I was quitting, I just told SWMBO that I was just going to see if I could go one day at work without a smoke. It was hard, but I did it. Then, I said I was going to try another day, and so forth until, before I knew it I had gone another full week without smoking. At that point I started thinking I might actually be able to kick this habit once and for all. It took a long time to get it completely out of my system, and I remember going to bed one night and it occurring to me that I had not thought of a cigarette once that day!

Did I mention I have the willpower of a rat?

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
As others, I had quit many times. The longest unsuccessful was 4 ½ months. On a Friday status meeting with a client we had bought an extra two weeks. When I got on site on Tuesday morning the team told me we were a month behind!. I bought a pack of my beloved Pall Mall's as soon as I got off work.
I finally succeeded with my first cataract surgery. The thought of smoke curling up into my sliced on eye, along with Nicoret (sp) got my through the intial period. Still love the smell of fresh smoke and absolutely hate the smell of stale smoke in clothes.