• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Status of Rivergate Web-Site?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just did a Google search for Rivergate Sprite Datsun Transmission and ended up at www.rivergate5speed.com which sure didn't look like the site I was accustomed to finding - this page contained a note 'rivergate5speed.com expired on 02/04/2012 and is pending renewal or deletion.'
Anyone have the original site bookmarked? Anyone know what's happening?
Doug

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
It probably means the owner of the site didn't renew their registration and someone else bought it to just plant ads on it. Happens all the time...Looking at the registration I bet it is the one you are thinking of...it was originally registered in 1999 but is now owned by https://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/ and is in a state of pending deletion...

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is Rivergate still in business?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rivergate is showing a 280Z Tranny for use with an MGB 1800 Series Engine. I'm guessing the 280Z Tranny is too wide to fit a Spridget Transmission Tunnel without mods? Curious minds want to know.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
Rivergate is showing a 280Z Tranny for use with an MGB 1800 Series Engine. I'm guessing the 280Z Tranny is too wide to fit a Spridget Transmission Tunnel without mods? Curious minds want to know.

More than likely. I've not seen one in person, so I can't say for sure, but it's definitely too long. You'd have to cut an opening for the shifter at least 4 inches further back, which would make the shifting awkward at least. It's doubtful it would fit without cutting the crossmember too.

Then you'd have to go about custom making all the bits. What would you use for a clutch kit? You'd have to make a shorter driveshaft with a different yoke... and not least of which is fabricating the adapter plate. BTW, the adapter plate needs to be very precise and locate the input shaft exactly. If it's a little off, you will destroy the input portion of the transmission. There was at one time some adapter plates for the 210 that were off ever so little. They damaged the gearboxes that were attached to them.

I'm sure it can be done. Worth the effort? I doubt it. Whatever you save on the gearbox purchase will be more than consumed by the cost of everything you'll need to fabricate. If you knew what's required to build a tried and true one... I have a gearbox in mind that I think could work without modifications to the car and is plentiful, but it's cost prohibitive to develop.

G

Gerard said:
[I have a gearbox in mind that I think could work without modifications to the car and is plentiful, but it's cost prohibitive to develop.

And which box might that be?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
He wants to keep it a secret but I'm certainly curious to know what it is. Some of the GM Boxes come with different options that put the shifter in different locations depending on the application. Without the bellhousing on they are fairly narrow. Or it may be a Miata box. Hmmm and the engine to go with it...

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gotto go and look at The Mite page again.