• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wanted Square body LCS fuel pump

dezand

Country flag
Looking for a used and dead square body LCS fuel pump to rebuild for a retirement project. The German made Hardi pump is preferred. Doesn't matter if the threads are stripped or not.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Looking for a used and dead square body LCS fuel pump to rebuild for a retirement project. The German made Hardi pump is preferred. Doesn't matter if the threads are stripped or not.
Have you found a source for parts for the Hardi pumps? I was under the impression that they weren't available.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I guess this link will work?

OP
D

dezand

Country flag
There are no parts available for the Hardi pumps, although I was able to procure a few new point sets from ebay. The diaphragm has to be custom made, for which I made a tool to do so. The original Effbe diaphragm material is available from Europe. Otherwise it is essentially identical to the SU with brass check valves that need to be refinished. I recently rebuilt one and you end up having about $125 invested in parts and a lot of hours of time. But looking for another to do, keeps me away from the TV !

Country flag
I have two Working Sq body pumps. $100 and shipping for either one

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
OP
D

dezand

Country flag
Marvin, it looks exactly the same from the outside. The exception is starting sometime in the 1960's Hardi switched from a black cap to a clear cap.
On the inside all the screw threads are metric and it is much easier to get stainless cheese head screws in metric. The SU pumps used the funky 2BA threads which you can't find stainless or even zinc plated in cheese head. The points look identical but are not interchangeable. Since the diaphragm threaded rod is metric, the std SU points cannot be used unless you swap some of the parts around. The Hardi points have a much better (simpler) way of adjusting the gap. Also, a biggie is the brass check valve design. Almost looks identical, but Hardi added a small spring and cover to the outlet valve to ensure it closes. The die cast end covers and the sand cast body have much better surface finishes inside and out on the Hardi.
I have two Hardi square body pumps, one dated 1958 and the other 1970. The 1958 one has a black cap while the 1970 has a clear cap. Otherwise identical.
I have a square body SU dated December of 1954 (from an XK 140) and it has no springs at all for the pump valves. SU only relied on gravity and back pressure to seat the valve discs. The Hardi can be mounted in various orientations due to the spring loaded valves.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Marvin, it looks exactly the same from the outside. The exception is starting sometime in the 1960's Hardi switched from a black cap to a clear cap.
On the inside all the screw threads are metric and it is much easier to get stainless cheese head screws in metric. The SU pumps used the funky 2BA threads which you can't find stainless or even zinc plated in cheese head. The points look identical but are not interchangeable. Since the diaphragm threaded rod is metric, the std SU points cannot be used unless you swap some of the parts around. The Hardi points have a much better (simpler) way of adjusting the gap. Also, a biggie is the brass check valve design. Almost looks identical, but Hardi added a small spring and cover to the outlet valve to ensure it closes. The die cast end covers and the sand cast body have much better surface finishes inside and out on the Hardi.
I have two Hardi square body pumps, one dated 1958 and the other 1970. The 1958 one has a black cap while the 1970 has a clear cap. Otherwise identical.
I have a square body SU dated December of 1954 (from an XK 140) and it has no springs at all for the pump valves. SU only relied on gravity and back pressure to seat the valve discs. The Hardi can be mounted in various orientations due to the spring loaded valves.

There were two versions of the end caps fitted to SU pumps: stamped steel and aluminum diecast. There is a spring on the lower valve. All parts are available from Burlen.

I'd like to see some pictures of the Hardi pump, showing the differences - valves, points, and? Thanks!

OP
D

dezand

Country flag
You are correct, the end covers were made in stamped steel and aluminum diecast, but both SU and Hardi had both. The older pumps had diecast while sometime in the late 70's or 80's, the covers were changed to stamped steel.
The early SU square body did not have the spring on the lower valve (AUB581), this was introduced later, maybe in response to Hardi having that spring ? The SU I have dated Dec 1954 does not have any springs and this is borne out by early
pump cross-section views online. I am currently in the process of adding this spring and also making the parts to modify the valve to add the secondary spring to the outlet valve disc.

This first pic shows the Hardi valve assembly. The domed disc has a small spring underneath pushing down on the normal outlet brass valve disc. The main valve housing is basically identical to the SU but has been machined deeper to account for the additional domed disc.
There is also the normal brass disc and larger spring below the valve creating the inlet valve.

Capture.PNG

This pic shows the point setup:
Capture.PNG

Here is a pic from the Healey BT7 parts manual showing no springs exist on the SU pump.
Capture.PNG