• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedo part needed

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Does anyone know where I might get (buy, beg, borrow, steal) one of these reset thingies?

Attachments

• 16126.jpg
    16126.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 385

TR4

Jedi Knight
I might have one but I need to check to make sure it is in usable condition. I can let you know later this evening. I would be willing to let you steal it (no cost).

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I couldn't find a source for them, so I wound up making a few. I gave my extras away, so I don't have any left. But, here's a thread that tells you how I made the odometer reset knobs.

BTW, the picture posted by the OP is my dash with one of the reset knobs I made. :cheers:

One more thing, there are two different lengths on the shafts depending on which speedo you have. I believe the ones I made are the longer ones, as you can see how far it sticks down under the dash. So, you can use a long one where a short one will go, but not the other way around.

Edit: Be sure to check up inside the speedo where the reset knob attaches to. Most often, the rest knob is missing because the rod in the speedo has broken, allowing the reset knob to drop out. :eeek:

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yea, two lengths---The early one (as shown in the pic) is 2" +/-; the later one (the stamped steel case) is 3" +/- (Smiths used metrics) The problem is the hole in the stem on the speedo side is often torn out, making attachment an additional problem.. If you make your own be sure your new knob is small enough to fit thru the hole in the horizontal dash brace.
Frank

TR4

Jedi Knight
Would you like this one? It measures a little under 3" long.

Attachments

• 16188.jpg
    16188.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 213

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
This information is about 6 years old so I can't say if it is still good, but worth a check...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Palo Alto Speedometer used to offer reset shafts for around $10. They advertise in British Car, but you can reach them at 415-323-0243.[/QUOTE]

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does anyone have a picture of what the speedo part this goes into looks like. I am worried mine is broken off where the cotter pin goes through it.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Looking at the picture, I bet Adrio sees the same problem on his speedo that I've seen on numerous ones (including a couple I have) - that stem breaks right at the hole for attaching the extension. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet, possibly a small set screw arrangement to tighten down to the remaining shaft.

Randy

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Frank,

Thanks for the picture it helps a lot.

Randy,

You are right. Both my speedos are broken right where the pin would go. That was my suspicion but never had any way to confirm it. Now I have to come up with both an extension and a way to attach it to the broken bit. I lived with it for 25 years so there is no big rush on this one.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got at least one in that state as well. My plan was to find (or make) a bit of tubing that fit snugly over the shaft and epoxy (or Loctite) it in place.

But I think Randy's suggestion of a setscrew would be better, if there is enough shaft left exposed. If too much force is applied, the screw will slip rather than breaking the shaft/repair again.

As I recall, it didn't look too hard to make a replacement shaft either; but I haven't tried it.

TR4

Jedi Knight
I had a local shop make a new one after mine broke. They charged me $10 which I thought was a real deal. I gave them the broken rod to use as the template. They even made the groove for that tiny circlip at the other end. A perfect copy. The guy did ask me what it was for. Maybe he gave me a break on the price when I told him it was for a 64 TR4.