• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seven Series IV

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
OK, OK, I know the series IV is the dune buggy and not loved by the Lotus clan, but, just but, what do you think a fairly good example would be worth, and do you think that some day it might be worthy to sit with the other Sevens? Also, original series IV versus a Caterham series 3, choose; I am torn. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Steve T.

PS -- I know I've asked these type questions before, but I am really hankerin' for a Seven that doesn;t cost $30K.

Dan_Morrison

Steve,

I like the S4 because it is the only affordable one left and still sports a Lotus badge (legitimately, save for the few assembled from Lotus parts by Caterham). The price on the S4 is also climbing. One just sold on eBay for a hair over $15K. This had a crossflow engine. There was also a twin cam that didn't meet reserve a couple weeks ago that reached just under $16K. Earlier this year a nice example of an S4 twin cam sold by Wire Wheel on eBay for about $16-17K (from memory). So, the prices speak for themselves. I think there is something to be said for having a real Lotus as opposed to having a Caterham, but maybe that's just me. And I'm not knocking the Caterhams, I have looked a few of those too.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I used to be somewhat snobbish about Sevens, consider'd even the Caterham cars as 'cheap counterfeits'. I've changed. They're ALL a hoot to thrutch around, and they ALL go like th' clappers compared to a "jellybean" Toyota or suchlike.

If ya want one, grab it while ya can! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
S

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Earlier this year a nice example of an S4 twin cam sold by Wire Wheel on eBay for about $16-17K (from memory). [/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the reason for the post; Wirewheel has the same Seven for sale again. I was told it was sold to an elderly gentleman and he grew to a stature that did not compliment the car and sold it back to WW. The listing price is now 2K more than it was then; not a bad return, 11% over 9 months. I also watched both Series IVs on eBay and thought the green one was better then the blue, but the blue was obviously tracked or raced.

I think the Series IV will continue to rise in value, just not sure as compared to TR6s, which I have a true survivor with only 30K actual miles and never taken apart.