• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seat recovering

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Spring has sprung in PA and I finally got the interior done...new carpet and a lot of little fixups for Clementine...had her out on Sunday for a spin and then we had to take her to Rita's for the first Italian Ice of the year after dinner. Put in the seatbeats last night and just have a few fixes to do in the "backseat" area and then I am ready to mount the top hardware.

Now with the new carpet, the seats look like heck...I guess there is no end to this. My wife suggested new seat covers for our Anniversary this year (what a gal, huh?) and I was thinking leather...I will have to see what comes up on Ebay I think ;-))

Any suggestions on seat covers or reupholstering (basil, can we get spellcheck on this site?)would be appreciated...or if anyone's wife wants to make me leather seats, too!
lol.gif

Bruce

LYLE

here's a tip for you - to make pulling seat covers over the foams, first place dry cleaner bags over them. the covers slip on much easier that way

good luck

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congratulations, Bruce! I look forward to seeing that car real soon.

Are you going to Carlisle May 17? Hope to see you there.

(Yeah, this restoration business just keeps going and going, doesn't it?)

If you can swing it, you should go for the leather seats. I have vinyl, but replacing them with leather is "on my list" for whenever I run out of other meaningful things to spend my money on.

(Are you coming to my club's June 8 show in Hellertown, just outside of Allentown? You should, it's a real nice show, with about 200 cars of all British kinds.)

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: Kim de B ]</p>

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I've got one of a kind leather!! Alida (my wife) did these puppies for me!! If it was me, there is noooooo waaaaay I would waste my money on vinyl!!
seat3_small.jpg

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's right, Gary, make the rest of us poor vinyl-clad sods feel inadequate, just because you are married to a talented seamstress!

You'd better be careful, or one night in St. Louis I'm going to sneak out and swap seats with you . . .

John Staub

Hi Kim and others,

As May is approaching, and since you mentioned Carlisle in your post, I am still planning on attending.

I'm going to trailer our B up to Chambersburg to visit my parents. I'd drive it up, but I have a bunch of stuff to move down here, so the Explorer is necessary (just not enough trunk space in the B
grin.gif

Hope to see and meet y'all there.

John

OP
B

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the info Jim and Lyle! Gary, what is your a Alind's feelings on wife swapping for a week or so??? LOL My wife is a great cook and I have the belly to prove it! Naw, I guess that won't work...I guess I'l have to eplore the Prestige route further...and seeing that I'd like to get a new top soon too, that might work out well ;-)

Kim, I'm not sure if I will go to Carlisle or not...it is about 1/2 hour from my house, but the weather will have to be better as I am still topless...and if the weather is nice, I'm not sure I want to fight the resulting crowds at Carlisle.

I have Carlisle and Hellertown in my book though. My poorly painted Clementine is not show material in any class, but I'd like to take her anyhow if I can park somewhere safe. Do you have more info on the show at Hellertown? DO they alow clunkers in the back row???
blush.gif

Bruce

G

bruce, around here they have a class called diamond in the rough, which I intend to win at the Indy show

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John -- Great! I'll look forward to seeing you and your beautiful blue B at Carlisle. Bruce, you can always just come to look around and shop for parts. But personally, I like to look at "works in progress." And it's always a good opportunity to have others look at your car and offer suggestions on things you can do with it.

We'll be there Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, I think. Look for us around the North American MGB Register / Keystone MG Club tent on the British car field.

Bruce, the Hellertown show does have a "Diamond in the Rough" category. And "clunkers" are as welcome as concours-class cars, because everyone loves to see another B being brought back to life.

Anyway, I don't take my car to shows ever expecting to win, because invariably there's somebody there with a really beautiful car that rarely gets out of the garage.(I drive mine every day, so it's never going to be perfect.) I go to shows because it's fun to meet up with other British car owners, see what they've done with their cars and to get ideas on things I might want to do with my car.

Send me an email with your mailing address and I'll send you a registration form for the Hellertown show. It's rain or shine, and it's in a beautiful park with lots of trees and shade. (Bruce, you really should get at least a tonneau cover for your car!)

And Chuck, you mean St. Louis, right? Can't wait to see this car. What are your long-term intentions for it?

[ 05-01-2003: Message edited by: Kim de B ]</p>

G

It'll be at St looie also. I'm just threatening phil about bringing it to Indy and telling everyone I know him. The car is a great example of what happens when you cover a basicly decent car with a plastic tarp for 4 years. She'll probably donate her engine and interior to the red car as the project comes along.

OP
B

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
My CLementine is a diamond in the rough alright...she is actually coal really...but I love her anyhow! Actually, it is just the Coal cracker paint job that hurts LOL and no offense to PA Coal Crakers...I have alot of family in Shamokin ;-))

And yes, I do actully have a tonneau...in fact I have two...one was in the trunk when I bought it and is real heavy with a tear...and the other is lighter weight one which I bought on Ebay. I had a new zipper put in the Ebay one and had the rip repaired in the other... so I do have some protection for the new interior
grin.gif

Bruce

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kim de B:
That's right, Gary, make the rest of us poor vinyl-clad sods feel inadequate, just because you are married to a talented seamstress!

You'd better be careful, or one night in St. Louis I'm going to sneak out and swap seats with you . . .
<hr></blockquote>

As usual, I stuck my foot in my mouth!! Sorry Kim!!
blush.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh, I'm just kidding you, Gary! (But maybe not about swiping your seats, especially if you let me sit in 'em and I like them too much!)

Bruce, glad that you have a tonneau. If you have the reclining seats, your loved one can also lie back underneath the passenger half during a downpour!

G

actually Gary is gonna fly Alida to st looie and have her do custom interiors in the parking lot

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Excellent idea! If the wedding dress business gets slow, custom leather seat covers for all of Gary's friends!