• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seat fastener dimensions for Bugeye

CraigCootsona

Hello All,

I recently received the competition lightweight seats from Archer's Garage and am going to design a quick release mechanism to allow acces the the spare, as these seats are solid with no folding back rest. I've found out that the current seats I restored with the car are actually big healey seat frames, which explains why I had to relocate some of the mounting holes. Does anyone have the measurements (or link to them) of where the original Bugeye holes are located? I'm mostly intested in those closest to the trasmission tunnel, as the outers appear to be in the original spot. Comments on fastening methods are also welcome!

Thanks,
Craig

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
If you can hold on a few days I think I can get you what your looking for easy enough as I have a friend with a bare bugeye tub. I'm not 100% clear on what you want though.

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

No big hurry. . .there are several other projects ahead of this one. I'm interested in knowing the correct distance between parallel seat rail mounting holes. When I install these seats I'd like to get the mounting holes as close as possible to the original locations.

Talonaer

just in process of thinking about seats (have some of the healey speed replicas from Archers for my sebring; Sebringsprite.blogspot.com)and how to fit them as don't have any original seating rails for adjusters.

Going to mull it over the weekend and will call Andrew Forster on Monday if can't come up with a plan.

if measure up the holes in my floor pan over the weekend (got alot of other jobs to finish as priority on the car) will post them up here for you.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Craig,

13.5 inches.

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

Thanks for the quick response! Do you have any information on how the lightweight seats were originally mounted in the competition cars? Did they simply bolt them onto the original seat mounts or use some special setup? I'm thinking of a way to mount the seats with a quick-release arrangement to allow removal for access to the spare tire area.

Cheers,
Craig

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

I have red with white piping to match the original interior color. It was about $830 USD for the seats with shipping to the US. They feel quite comfortable, although I have not installed them and gone over bumpy mountain roads yet!

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I really like that seat it holds you in very nicely, I also like the light weight too. I’ve contemplated what you are dealing with and decided not make the attachment due to rising the ride height. So I’ll not carry a spare tire just the AAA card. Is Andrew still using the same red as mine?

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

My red is darker, more like a cherry red. I sent a sample of spare fabric in and they did a great job matching. I have a low profile mounting idea in mind that could work without raising ride height. I'll post more when I get there.

Attachments

• 29435.jpg
    29435.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 128

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I like that red too, I ordered my panels bare, purchase a large roll of the same material from Andrew so that I could cover them all including my dash so that everything would match. Car will be black with Wilton wool black carpet.

Looking to see your idea on how you mount your seats for an easy removal.

Talonaer

we're thinking of just having S shaped brackets in the 4 corners as per the passenger seat arrangement for the standard seats but with wing nuts on the drivers side with a slid arrangement for easy access to rear and the differing driving positions of my brother and I...

Having said that the 9 spring competition clutch means whatever the arrangement its going to need to be solid as a rock!

Country flag
Pardon the interruption, but how much do those seats weigh?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Trevor, mine weights 11.5 pounds.

Talonaer, I like the idea of the wing nuts for the attachment.

I decided to go with a diaphragm clutch with the aluminum flywheel.