• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SAE Bubble Flare tool

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Bubble flare tools, non-metric.
I have been searching, see lots of them, but which one is best bang-for-the-buck?
I have a double-flare I used in business for decades, but now find I need a bubble flare tool, so the question is on the floor.

OTC ONLY makes metric.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I tried a half dozen or so a few years back. Only one that actually worked was a Snap-On set. Fortunately, I was able to borrow it from a local shop, so it was excellent bang-for-the-buck
grin.gif

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I checked the Snap-On website, they ONLY make metric bubble kits.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wow, who'da thought? However, I think you'll find that the "metric" sets work OK on SAE tubing. 4.75mm is just slightly under 3/16"; 6mm slightly under 1/4". Worst case, use your SAE clamping bar with the ISO dies.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

If that's the case......maybe I could just buy the dies, which seem to be available separately.
Wonder if the end of the threaded rod is different?

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Yeah, I'd seen than. Single and double flare only, no bubble flare, for $230 plus shipping.
Seen the same item from the folks who made it I think for half that.
I've got a single and double flare tool.

OP
G

TOC What application do you need a SAE bubble flare tool for? I have been in the automotive tool business for 35 years and Iam curious.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

1964 Jaguar MK2 brake lines.
Every fitting EXCEPT the one end of each hose and the supply to the Dunlop master cylinder is bubble.

I have made some, using 1/2 a flare tool, not too happy with the results.
The bubble tool from what I hear spins the adaptor along the face and smooths it perfectly round.

I got new bridge pipes for the 4 calipers, and they are, also, bubble flare both ends.

I did auto repair for 35+ years, and we'd run into this, but they were usually metric (VW, etc), the Jag is SAE.

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I just use the set that I bought from Auto Value for about $30. Never had a leak out of hundreds of flares made. Get a good quality flaring bar from snap on though. The ribs that are supposed to hold the line wear out quickly on the lesser expensive tools. You can use the same bar to make double or bubble flares.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I don't know what brand my big double-flare kit is, but if I can buy a metric bubble-flare from the same manufacturer, I can probably use the bar from the SAE set and the threaded part and bits from the bubble kit.
I am certainly NOT going to spend over $200 for a kit.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
I bought a metric bubble flaring kit from Princess Auto (part# 8056417) when restoring a '76 TR7. It worked perfectly on the TR7 and subsequently on my '73 MGBGT and '80 Spitfire. I think the diameter of the brake line I used was 3/16", which is an adapter size that the kit came with. I've seen the same kit at American parts stores as well.

OP
G

TOC-My 54 TR2 Had what seemed to look like bubble flares on some of the ends. I flared the tubing with the double flare adapter and didnt take it the final step of squashing it in to make a double flare. It looked just like what I was replacing and had no leakage problems. The brand of flare tool I use and sell is Master Cool,Good quality and reasonably priced.Many American car companies refer to Bubble flare as ISO flare. I have only seen metric sizes.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Yeah, I've done that. You just need to spend time with a round jeweler's file and take EVERY BIT of curl off the inside edge....and they don't seal real tight, i.e. wet, not leaking.
BTDT.
The bubble-flare tool, near as I can tell, the bits lock onto the end of the threaded shaft and turn as you form the bubble end, rubbing it perfectly round.